We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Which Eureka Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

I am considering a fall trip to ES to see the colors. Is it a safe place for a single woman?

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

As another single woman,I would have no reservations about recommending Eureka to you. It's a very nice, laid back little town.

Here are a couple of links that should come in handy: arkansas.com/things-to-do/fall_foliage_pg1.a… and www.arkansas.com/things-to-do/scenic-drives

A couple of routes to definitely consider are, I-540, Hwy 71, Hwy 23, Hwy 7 and Hwy 309.

Hwy 309 will take you to Mount Magazine and further east to Mount Nebo. There are some really great views from these mountains. Magazine is the tallest, but I consider Nebo to have a more stunning panorama view.

Places to check out in Eureka:

www.turpentingecreek.org - big cat wildlife refuge

www.thorncrown.com - beautiful glass chapel in woods

www.belleoftheozarks.com

www.cosmiccavern.com

www.eurekagardens.com

www.eurekasprings.org

www.eurekasprings.com

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Thank you for all the great information! I am now REALLY looking forward to this trip!

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
292 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

I have had a couple mommie jubilees to ES all by myself and I felt safe-I bet you have a wonderful time!

Where are you staying?

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Just noticed a typo on one of the sites I listed. The cat refuge site is www.turpentinecreek.org

AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

I am a single woman. I lived in downtown ES for a year and walked everywhere alone, even late in the evening. For a real treat, stay in the historic district and take long walks about town, then venture out for drives.

Be sure to go up to the Crescent hotel bar/balcony which overlooks the town and valley.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

No problem for a single woman in Eureka. It is a very safe town and the people are very nice. Lots to see and do around the town and surrounding areas...go and have fun!

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety

YYTex:

I've been going to ES for about fifteen years, most trips solo. My oldest son loves it so much we had his wedding there at Thorncrown Chapel 8 years ago. His wife's family came from California andEngland and fell in love with it too!!

Great food, wonderful shopping and the entire town is on the National Historic Register. Victorian houses are wonderful.

This is definitely a walking town. Take your walking shoes, park your car and enjoy. If you stay outside the historic district, there are trolleys that will pick you up at most motels and run daily.

You mentioned October and that is a great time to visit but do check with the Chamber of Commerce to find out when the War Eagle Fair is. I believe about the third weekend of October. War Eagle is out of town but everyone stays in Eureka and the motels fill up quickly. FYI, War Eagle is an arts and crafts show and HUGE (lots of walking) but a great time.

I've always felt safe and enjoyed visiting with the locals (most of whom are from all over the US, came to Eureka and fell in love with the town and moved there. I would too if I could convince my husband!

Have a great trip and enjoy!!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety

It is good to hear that I am not the only woman who travels solo. Thank you so much for the information. I just made my reservations at Bavarian Inn

9. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 18:20
Get answers to your questions about Eureka Springs