We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eureka Springs or Hot Springs?

Which Eureka Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Eureka Springs or Hot Springs?

Which is your favorite and why?

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eureka Springs or Hot Springs?

Eureka Springs and Hot Springs are both known as tourist towns, but they are still pretty different from each other. They are both historic towns, but they have a slightly different feel to them. Hot Springs is the larger town and feels more city like. Hot Springs is basically flat land and Eureka is not as it is in the Ozark's. You definitely get your exercise when walking up and down all the hills while shopping in Eureka. There are a couple of plays/shows in each town. They both are artistic towns. To me, Eureka Springs has a bit more artistic feel to it than Hot Springs. The very essence of Eureka, from the historic beautiful houses to the statues placed here and there around town is art. Then there's the music stage downtown. Eureka has a more laid back feel to me. Each town has garden areas. Blue Heritage for Eureka. My favorite place in Hot Springs is Garvan Woodland Gardens. There's almost always something in bloom. The design and placement of the bridges, plants and waterfalls is wonderful. Both towns have their share of spa's available. I've eaten at more places in Eureka than Hot Springs. There are plenty of nice places to eat at in each town that I have seen recommendations for here. Have had good meals at every place we've eaten at in Eureka. J & S Italian Villa in Hot Springs is very good. They have indoor and outdoor seating overlooking Lake Hamilton.

There are more lakes around Hot Springs, but Beaver Lake is not that far from Eureka.

Are there any specific acitivities you are looking for?

Corrales, New Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eureka Springs or Hot Springs?

I want to see both Eureka and Hot Springs. I will be exploring as much of

Arkansas as I can for 3 weeks in October. Looking at drawing up an plan now. We are coming in from New Mexico (Albuquerque) on Oct 1 and want to see everything! Driving a travel trailer, so we would like to have a "homebase" and travel in the truck all over and come back at night, when possible. We are really looking forward to seeing the Ozarks, the lakes, the historical sights, the caverns and the list goes on..

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eureka Springs or Hot Springs?

Wow! That sounds awesome! You really should review your travels here...

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eureka Springs or Hot Springs?

Here's a few I 40 joints to stop and rest between NM and AR. Good luck. Get off I 40 at Exit 332 in Tucumcari, NM and go N on S 1st St. to Tucumcari Blvd. Take a right and go to Kix on 66 for good road food for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Kix on 66 @ 1102 East Tucumcari Boulevard, Tucumcari, NM 575 - 461 - 1966.

http://www.kixon66.com/

Get off I 40 in Amarillo, TX at Exit 68 B to Georgia St. Turn N and go to Frontage Road. Take a left then take your first right on S Kentucky to Dyer's BBQ for outstanding road food for lunch or dinner.

Dyer's BBQ @ 1619 South Kentucky St., Amarillo, TX 806 - 358 - 7104.

In Oklahoma City, OK take Exit 139 off I 40 N to Kilpatrick Turnpike. Go 5 miles and take Highway 66 E. Go 6 miles to Ann's Chicken Fry House for outstanding road food for lunch or dinner. When you get your fill of good fried chicken go E less than a mile to I 44 and go S to I 40 about 3/4 miles to I 40. Get over in your left lane going S and take the I 40 E ramp to I 40 E. For outstanding BBQ get off I 40 at Exit 150 A and go N on S Walker Ave. Take your second left on Reno and go E to Oklahoma. Take a right on Oklahoma and go to S E 2nd. Take a right and go to Johnny Bench Drive to Earl's BBQ. You can see Earl's from I 40 but it sure is difficult to reach. The BBQ makes it worth the effort.

You may want good ole country food for breakfast or lunch or a fine steak for dinner. Cattlemen's Steakhouse located in the Oklahoma Stockyards offers outstanding road food and it's the most convenient location off I 40 in Oklahoma City, OK. Get off I 40 at Exit 148 A and go S on S Agnew Ave. to Cattlemen's Steakhouse. I would have a hard time trying to choose between fried chicken, BBQ or Cattlemen's country food.

Ann's Chicken Fry House @ 4106 Northwest 39th St., Oklahoma City, OK 405 - 943 - 8915.

Earl's Rib Palace @ 216 Johnny Bench Dr, Oklahoma City, OK 405 - 272 - 9898.

http://www.earlsribpalace.com/

Cattlemen's Steakhouse @ 1309 South Agnew Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 405 - 236 - 0416.

http://cattlemensrestaurant.com/

Get off I 40 at Exit 325 at Ft. Smith, AR and go E on Robert Pine Blvd. which turns into Garrison Ave. when you cross the river. Go to Rolando's Restaurante for outstanding Mexican cuisine for lunch or dinner. If you prefer BBQ go to Neumeier's Rib Room just down the street.

Rolando's Restaurante @ 223 Garrison Ave., Fort Smith, AR 479 - 573 - 0404.

http://www.rolandosrestaurante.com/

Neumeier's Rib Room @ 817 Garrison Ave., Fort Smith, AR 479 - 494 - 7427.

Barling, AR
Level Contributor
1 post
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eureka Springs or Hot Springs?

Personally, I'd choose Eureka Springs. It's like being in Little Switzerland.

It depends on whether you want a relaxing vacation or one on the go.

Eureka is laid back, and there is nothing like shopping, or going to the Great Passion Play.

www.greatpassionplay.org/directions.asp

You can park downtown, or stay downtown. If you park in one of the outlying areas, there is a trolley to, and from, downtown. It's, quite literally, a completely different experience, and the FOOD! WOW! The kids love walking up and down the mountain, and there is a secret to Eureka Springs as well.

bridgefordhouse.com/blog/…

Both are truly historic. People in the past, when the springs were so popular, believed in the healing waters.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eureka Springs or Hot Springs?

the latest issue of budget travel mag rates eureka springs as on the top small towns in the usa. people from all over the world visit as well as locals. hot springs is a city with bath houses an antique shops but is not as easy to navigate both are worth the effort. i would say eureka springs. while in this part of the country i would try to visit Mountain View ,Arkansas to hear "real" mountain music played int the square. good luck hope you have a great time.

7. Re: Eureka Springs or Hot Springs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Eureka Springs