We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diakofto-Kalavrita train

UK
8 posts
Save Topic
Diakofto-Kalavrita train

This popular line will not open before October this year(2008). I have made several trips to Diakofto this year and have seen many disappointed travellers arriving at the station and local hotel. There is no information at the station! It seems that the new trains have arrived from Switzerland but are too high for some of the tunnels!! A British/Greek team is working on this problem. I will contact the group when I know it will be open.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diakofto-Kalavrita train

Hi Terry,

It is partially open, from Kalavryta to Zahlorou, from where you can walk up to the monastery (Moni Mega Spilio). Looking forward to it being fully open though, I haven't done it for a few years now & want to do the journey again as soon as we can!

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diakofto-Kalavrita train

I hope that the new trains have either opening windows or air con, although I loved the trip there were many who just hated it because it was so incredibly hot.

Keep us in touch Terry, we're planning a winter trip there.

Patra
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Diakofto-Kalavrita train

Hi all

The operations on the truck are close to finish.

By October the train is going to be operational again.

I found a website for diakopto.

www.ediakopto.gr When the train is operational there surely be an announcement in this site.

The problem of the train is not only the fact that the trains are taller, but also that they are heavier than the previous ones, so all the bridges need to be reinforced.

The new trains have arrived in the station here you can see a few photos:

www.ediakopto.gr/index.php…

Lets hope that the train will start this winter.

Patra
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diakofto-Kalavrita train

The diakofto to kalavrita train(Odontotos) is operational. You can find time tables and more info here www.ediakopto.gr

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diakofto-Kalavrita train

At last, that's great news!

hiddengreece
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diakofto-Kalavrita train

The train is running at weekends with the old carriages and we are still waiting for the news ones but its going from diakofto to kalavrita

nicky

4 seasons

kalavrita

7. Re: Diakofto-Kalavrita train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 17:36
Get answers to your questions about Kalavrita