We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gytheio advices? (a few hours stop within a cruise)

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
gytheio advices? (a few hours stop within a cruise)

Hi everyone, I'm a 25-y-o italian girl on her first big trip alone. I'll be in Gytheio for a few hours during a cruise, and I would like to know if there's anything interesting (from beaches to historical sites or just curious and beautiful things to see, peculiar shops, good places to eat...) i can reach on foot (or with local transports). I keep seeing pictures of a shipwrecked boat tagged with the city's name online: where is it? I'd love to visit it!

Thank you everyone :) your help is so precious.

2 replies to this topic
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gytheio advices? (a few hours stop within a cruise)

alice - I'm answering on the forum rather than your PM if you don't mind.

How much time have you got ashore and how will you get around? Are the cruise organisers offering any excursions and, if so, what are they?

The shipwreck you ask about is at Glyfada beach 3 or 4 kilometers to the east of the town. It's a rusty old heap and every year, a few more bits have dropped off in the winter storms but once you get there it's a nice short walk along the beach. The beach itself is sandy and quite popular and there is also a nice bar and taverna where the food is quite good.

Gythio itself is a very pleasant town. Your cruise ship will probably moor offshore and bring you to the dock by motorboat. Once you leave the port, you can turn left along the seafront towards Kranai, the small island connected by a causeway where Helen of Troy and Paris had their honeymoon in legend. It's a pleasant spot with pine trees, a small museum and the taverna To Nisaki which, to me, is the best taverna in town.

If you turn right leaving the port, you walk for about half a kilometer along the sea front and where the road forks (a new park is being built there) take the left fork and you will come into the old part of Gythio with shops, tavernas, and, on Fridays, a large open air market selling local produce.

The best way to see the town is on foot and you can see most of it in 3 or 4 hours.

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gytheio advices? (a few hours stop within a cruise)

I absolutely loved Gythio, a very authentic place. It's just lovely walking around in town, taking in the views and the old buildings. I agree with Philhellene that a visit to Kranai is very nice! It won't take that long walking from one side of town to the other, the town is quite compact.

I'd drop the shipwrek in Glyfada. I've been there and I absolutely adored the place, but I fear it may be hard for you to get there considering your limited time.

I'd like to add one more thing on the list of things to see. If you like ruins you might like to have a stroll around the ancient odeon in town. Located along O. Apollonos. Not that big, but certainly worth a visit!

greeka.com/peloponnese/gythio/gythio-excursi…

Just great! Now I want to go back again!

Enjoy Greece!

Reply to: gytheio advices? (a few hours stop within a cruise)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gytheio