We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

Which Kalambaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
32 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

We will visit Meteora around 20/21/22. March . Would like to know which monastery is open when around those days. Saw opening times for 2007.Do they still apply?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

Hey and welcome Holly043:-) According to www.athensinfoguide.com/open.htm opening days/times are standard throughout the year from 9-1 and again from 3-5p in the afternoon! Have fun..and ENjoY!

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
32 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

Thanks litsa, but i am a bit confused here. I looked up the site you mentioned but i gathered this was only about things to see in athens. I therefore have my doubts about the opening times of the Meteora monasteries near kalambaka. And as far as I know there is a small entrance fee to the monasteries. Meanwhile I found a site with a description of the monasteries and found the opening times more or less as you said , all of them are open on Sunday,but Meteora is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays,Varlaam on Thursdays and Fridays,Stephanos on Mondays,Triada on Thursdays and Rousanou on Wednesdays. These are the times for winter ,so in March.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

You're welcome Holly043:-) Although it's an 'Athens info site', it does appear to show some of the highlights outside the City proper like Olympia, Mycenae, etc.. Hopefully, someone in the know here..a local..will kick in with some specific/updated info for you! Keep enjoyin'!

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

Is the strict dress code still in effect? Long trousers/pants for men and long skirts for women. Shoulders covered. Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

Yes, that sounds about right for any monastery, not just the ones at Meteora.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

www.greecetravel.com/meteora/monasteries.html

Matt Barrett's site has times (don't know how old) some close at 6. I know this is true for a few of them in June as I asked the hotel we are staying at. Unfortunately I didn't ask for details just - are some open late?

If you are booking a hotel you could maybe ask them?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

we plan to be in meteora on the 11 of april 2012, which is a wednesday. I do not know if April considered to be winter or summer.

Is the big monastery open on that wednesday/ thank you very much for enlightening.

Limassol
Level Contributor
88 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

www.kalampaka.com/gr/meteora/monasteries.asp/

Its in greek but you can translate the words you dont understand in google tranlslate

www.kalampaka.com/en/meteora/monasteries.asp

this one is in englise. If it does not open click on Meteora on the left

and then monasteries on the top

Edited: 13 March 2012, 08:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

Thank you.

10. Re: update opening days and times of Meteora monasteries please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 09:19