We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

Which Kalambaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

We will drive to Meteora the morning of May, 28, tour and spend the night and then see anythng we missed the next day before driving to Delphi. We would be in no real hurry to leave on the 29th so can take a good portion of that day as well to visit the area.

Since we will have a car, is signing up for the tours offered by visitmeteora necessary? I see they do hiking tours and we are interested in hikes as well. I just wonder if there is a map of the trails that we could use to self-guide. I wouldn't mind joining a tour for the information and for the chance to see hidden spots, but I like to linger to take pictures and that usually isn't conducive to keeping up with a tour.

Also, is it cool that time of year? I'll have a light jacket, is something heavier needed?

*Edit* to clarify, while I would like to visit some of the monestaries, my question is geared toward accessing scenic trails and vistas with or without a tour.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 20:06
Kalambaka, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

Hi! There are trails in Meteora but they are not signed at all, so rather than getting lost I would suggest you join our Hiking Tour of Meteora. You will have an English speaking mountain guide with you who will not only lead the way, but he will also tell you many stories about Meteora, the monasteries etc. We keep the pace on a level that everybody can follow (small groups always) and make a lot of stops for making photos.

Light jacket is recommended but not necessary as May is hot here in Meteora.

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

Ok, thank you. Is advance booking necessary? I'm not sure I'd want to book if it is going to be raining? I see your sunset tour looks nice too. We'd be interested in doing the sunset tour and then the hiking the next day before we leave.

Kalambaka, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

Hi! Most of our clients combine these two because they do not overlap and it's nice to combine an activity with the tour. No booking in advance needed for the hiking, but for the sunset tour it would be smart as there are only 12 seats so they get sold out quickly. We try to keep the groups small. Kind regards!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

Hi Angelina,

I am thinking of combining the Sunset tour (on Sun 15 Jun) and the hiking or the half day tour on Mon, 16 Jun.

before taking the 5pm train back to Athens on Monday.

Would you recommend the hiking tour or the half day tour?

Kalambaka, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

Hi Ivan!

Most of our clients combine two tours or activity and tour.

I would suggest you the combination of the hiking with the sunset tour.

That way you will enjoy the nature and have a light activity combined with a minibus tour that will take you all around the area. Hiking is nice because you get to see what most of the people don't see because they stick on the main street. There so many treasure from the other side, and hiking is the only way to reach them.

Kind regards from Meteora!

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

Ivan Y - that is what we decided to do, on different dates of course. We will arrive early afternoon and booked the Sunset tour. The next morning we booked the hiking tour. I thought the same thing, a nice mix of hiking and something more relaxing.

Kalambaka, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

Good choice! Many clients do it in the same day as there is a 3 hours break in betwwen the two.

8. Re: Meteora -guided tour versus self-guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 05:16