We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
90 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

Our current itinerary has us visiting Meteora on a Tuesday (driving up from Delphi in the morning to visit a few monasteries that afternoon) and it appears the Great Meteoro is closed on Tuesday. Is that the 'best' monastery to visit? Will we be missing something if we can't see that specific one? Is it worth trying to change our schedule?

Kalambaka, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

Hi! Great Meteoro is closed every Tuesday. It is the biggest and the most beautiful monastery of all 6 of them. I would suggest you consider changing your schedule for a day. Not that the other monasteries are not nice, but this one is a real gem.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
90 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

Thank you, Angelina. Tuesday is the only day it is closed, right? Or is it also closed on Wednesday? I believe I saw somewhere that it is closed both days.

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

I think what you saw is that it is also closed on Wednesday's in the winter. The chart is a bit confusing at first but if you were looking here: www.kalampaka.com/en/meteora/monasteries.asp

The "W" means winter and the "S" means summer in that chart at the bottom with the opening and closings. So the way I read it is closed Tuesdays in winter and summer and Wednesdays in winter as well.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
90 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

Marty--Yes, thanks. That makes sense. Have you been there? Do you share the feeling that Great Meteoro is the 'best' one and a must see?

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

Haven't been yet, just doing research like yourself. We will be there May 28 & 29.

Have fun!

Kalambaka, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

The Great Meteoro is the biggest one so there are many things to be seen like museums, old kitchen etc. It is also the highest one and the view is just breathtaking. Other monasteries are smaller but also very beautiful. Summer visiting hours - Tuesdays closed. Winter wisiting hours - Tuesdays & Wednesdays closed.

Houston, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

I like Great Meteoro the best also because you look down and see a lot of the other monasteries and they have a courtyard where you can take great pictures of the whole meteora region (great for panorama if you have that option in your camera).

Edited: 02 December 2014, 22:17
8. Re: Great Meteoro closed the day we will be there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2015, 05:15