We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

Thailand
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

Whare I should to stay at Meteora ? "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" ?

I would like to have a nice view there.....What do you think which one is better ?

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

Kastraki. No contest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

I wondered about this too before our trip last year and read so much on the subject that I became increasingly frustrated with conflicting information. In the end we stayed at the Divani Meteora Hotel in Kalambaka and were not disappointed, and we got more or less what I thought we would, though the hotel is more modern and well-appointed than I had thought it would be. However, some things to be aware of;

a. Hotel used by coach parties, so very busy.

b. We asked for a meteora view room, but after being told that none were available did manage to get one. Highlight this when you book.

c. Breakfast a bit indifferent and a freeforall.

d. Hotel on edge of town and in easy walking distance of town centre for dinner, kastraki by comparison very small and very quiet and eerily close to meteora looming over the village. Seemed to me more a place for climbers and walkers to base themselves.

e. Had lovely pool for a dip in 5 mins after we checked in, followed by a gin & tonic on our balcony looking at meteora.

f. My impression from websites and rough Guide was that Kastraki and Kalambaka were within easy walking distance, either by road or path. By day in the light I'm sure would be fine, but not great if you want to go into Kalambaka in the evening.

g. Dinner menu at the hotel looked ok if a bit pricey, but decision to eat out based at least on the fact that the tour groups were eating in hotel.

Have tried to be subjective, but everybody's view of 'quiet', 'busy' is different. But do make sure you get to Meteora early before all the coaches!

Hope this helps!

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

It depends on what you are looking for - in Kalambaka there are many souvenirs shops and restaurants, fast food and night life. There are two or three central streets and could be crowdy in spring and summer. Kastraki has magnificient view and seems to be quiet and relaxing. If you'd like to wnjoy the view in a small picturesque town Kastraki is for you. If you prefer night life, dinning and shopping I suggest you stay in Kalambaka.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

hi.

if accomodation is a primary concern to you then divanis kalambaka hotel is the only really descent place to stay there.it is fully renovated and has many rooms with the most amazing views to the meteora.a big plus of the hotel is the newly opened spa with indoor heated swimming pool and jacuzzi excactly what will you look for after a long sightseeing day. neither kalambaka nor kastraki are worth visiting towns-rather ugly-the only thing that is worth the visit is meteora itself so no matter if you stay in kastraki or kalambaka so in my opinion better choose kalambaka for the divanis hotel.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

Jook was travelling last September!

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

That fact doesn't make comments less useful to other travelers, don't you think??? I'm reading older post from time to time and could find helpful information.

7. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2008, 18:49
Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

Hi,

I'm going interrailing with a couple of mates in the summer, we're looking to stay in kalambaka for a couple of nights. Does anyone know of any places to stay?- we'd preferably like to stay in or near the town.

P.S we have a budget of 25 Euros max!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

Hi again Warde

Pleeeeeaasee start a new thread for your questions as you are much more likely to get useful responses than tagging onto a two-year old topic which wil get ignored by many when they see the date of the first post! And is that €25 for a triple room or €25 per person?

cheers

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Kalambaka" or "Kastraki" for accomodation at Meteora

hi.

the best hotel in the area is the divanis kalambaka hotel with rooms with direct view to the meteora.it has a lovely spa area also with indoor swimming pool.www.divanis.gr