We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meteora monastaries and children?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
376 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Meteora monastaries and children?

Hi. I have three children ages 11, 9 and 6. Will they be able to climb up to the monastaries? I have read the paths are crumbling in places. The pictures look fantastic but they also make me wonder if they are safe for children. Thanks!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meteora monastaries and children?

the main monastaries, those that are occupied see thousands of tourists a year. They are steeply stepped, most with handrails, and all safe as long as you keep a handle on your kids. I would not however, venture to the uninhabitated monastaries with the little ones unless you have done climbing withh them...I think the kids will enjoy the view, after one "church", they might get really bored.

fyi...at Rosseneau (also known as St Barbara's) the Greek Orthodox Nuns sell finer and unusual icons, incense, and souvies to help their on going restoration...the easiest of the climbs, it in many ways is the most intimate

and my personal fave.

Have fun!

NY, NY
Level Contributor
376 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meteora monastaries and children?

Thank you!

middx
Level Contributor
408 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meteora monastaries and children?

Hi jkny,

we visited the monastries in '05, our children were 6 and 8, there were no problems with access for them, but, as johnnieb posts, they were less impressed than us after a while, but hey, they hav'nt forgotten it either. Enjoy, Mari

4. Re: Meteora monastaries and children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 17:18