We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

Which Kalambaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

After arriving mid-morning on the 20th, we 60 somethings will rent a car and head to Meteora. From there we will visit Delphi and then continue to the Peloponese. Should we drive the coastal road through Larisa and on to get there, and then return Trikala-Lamia to go to Delphi? If we tire on the road, any suggestions for pleasant stops 2 or 3 hours on the way north? ViaMichelin has Larisa at a little less than four hours. Tinsey's posts have encouraged me to take the leap to drive on our own, carefully:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

Hey and welcome Bklvr_Mom:-) I trust you do realize it's about a 5-6 hour drive to Meteora! If you're sure you can handle it after the long haul plus 7 hour time change..more power to you;-) I'm sure folks will kick in regarding route..I always either take a bus traveling around..or am w/folks that do drive since I don't;) Have a magnificent journey..and hope to hear all about it when you return..Enjoy!

NC
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

Litsa, no we won't make it all the way. I'm hoping for suggestions for several points along the way in case we're too tired after two or three or four hours.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

..well, if you take the coastal run..there are numerous places to take a break/stop..you won't need a res..just look for signs saying 'domatia' (rooms)..as well as signs for local hotels, etc.. Aghios Konstantinos is about a 2.5 hour run from the airport..about 10 min further is Kammena Vourla..loads of places to choose from..on the waterfront..think it would make for a great layover;-) Keep enjoyin'!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

Definitely not Larissa - it's a busy town, hectic traffic, difficult to park. Not much charm either (unless you really want to see what the real Greece is like). Otherwise, if towns are your thing, Volos is a much more pleasant option.

I'm sure I've already suggested on another one of your threads that you do a search for suitable locations to stop en route to Meteora. Kammena Vourla is one possibility, but there are others, depending on which route to you take and how far you drive before you stop. Also if you prefer sea or mountain locations etc.

If you think you will need more than one stop between Athens and Meteora, it may well be better to overnight as close to Athens as possible and set off fresh the next day.

As for which route makes the most sense, personally I'd go via Lamia - Trikala, but there are pros and cons to driving both ways (coastal vs. mountains) and again, if you do a search, you will find arguments for and against both, and hopefully be able to make up your own mind.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 09:34
NC
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

Tinsey, yes, I've been searching and reading posts every day. When I mapped the route I didn't see the places mentioned. I thought Volos was out of the way.

As far as driving, I thought it made sense to head north on the coastal road and return via Lamia-Trikala heading to Delphi, so that we'd experience both. Maybe it's better to do the mountain route both ways.

If we drive the coastal route it looks like Kamena Vourla is two hours or so. One night on the way is all that is needed. If we go through the pass I see that you recommend Limni Plastira, and Karditsa is mentioned. Suggestions?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

Volos is a half hour drive off the Athens-Larissa motorway. Hardly a long detour and on the plus side it's a much nicer and tourist-friendly city. The problem with overnighting at Volos (or Larissa) en route to Meteora is that by the time you reach that area, you're much closer to Kalambaka than Athens, and in some ways, you might as well keep going. If your aim is to have a break early on to avoid the effects of jet lag, Kammena Vourla is a much better choice - smaller, quieter, by the sea and much, much closer to Athens.

As for trying the different routes, I'm not so sure the route via Larissa is that much better. You'll experience the motorway, but is that really a must-see? Plus it will take longer than going via Karditsa & Trikala. BTW the mountain route is more scenic, but it's also more windy, so it depends on your tolerance for windy roads.

Karditsa is a small provincial town, nothing very special, but again it depends on how keen you are to see "the real Greece". We have stayed at Arni Hotel in the town centre a couple of times - very nice indeed.

Limni Plastira is a gorgeous lake area close to Karditsa, well worth visiting for its merits alone (i.e. not just a "suitable" overnight stop). Can't recommend any specific hotels, but at the time of year you're visiting, you could easily find a hotel on the spot.

If you want to get an idea of what the landscape is like on a drive from Karditsa to Delphi, I have posted some photos here (but keep in mind I've not taken any photos of the windy sections): http://tinyurl.com/4nlt7gc

NC
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

Thank you for all the info and answers to all my posts. You've been so much help on this trip!

NC
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

Tinsey, do you know how long it takes to drive to the hotels on Lake Plastira from Karditsa? They all look like they're on the opposite side of the lake, and the road is winding.

If we stop after two hours, it would be in Kamena Vourla. I was planning to take the Lamia-Karditsa road from there. But, even though the coastal road may be longer, is Volos a better stop-over if we can continue on from Kamena Vourla?

As you mentioned by the time we've driven four hours to get to Volos, maybe we should have just gone straight to Kastraki.

Maybe we'll do that and if we can't make it, crash in Karditsa. One stop should do it either way.

Sorry to be so indecisive, but I have no idea how we'll feel after the ovenight flight in economy, so I'd like to have a plan A and B:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

Hey again Bklvr_Mom:-) Well, after an approx 9+ hour flight, you'll certainly feel the 'lag'..lol;-) Don't forget your inner clocks will think you're 7 hours ahead as well! I think Kammena Vourla would make a good stop..it's a small waterfront Town..manageable..whereas Volos is a pretty big City..waterfront as well..but large to 'move around/drive around in' IMO first time straight off a long haul! It's a fabulous City though..would head the waterfront area for a place to crash and a great outdoor meal at a local taverna..if your up to it, check out a 'tsipouradiko'..Volos is known for them;-) Keep enjoyin'!

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jet-lagged drive to Meteora on May 20

We did the reverse after a long flight and went to Delphi first- stayed in Galaxidi and drove the next day to Meteora- is that an option? Galaxidi/Delphi is a much shorter drive after such a long trip.