We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Dettifoss and surrounding falls - March 2014

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Dettifoss and surrounding falls - March 2014

Hi,

I will be driving from Eastern Iceland ( Egilsstaðir) towards Dettifoss in late March.

1) Looking at this map vatnajokulsthjodgardur.is/english/… it appears my only option of seeing Dettifoss is to drive onto the so-called new road, road 862 north, and view the falls from the west side, correct?

2) How far is the walk or hike from parking area off Road 862 to area where you can see Dettifoss up close? Need hiking shoes / cleats?

3) I understand Dettifoss is the middle falls in a series of three falls: Dettifoss is 1 km downstream of the Selfoss and 2 km upstream of Hafragilsfoss along Jokulsa River. Is it possible to hike to either of this falls from Dettifoss easily in March? Is there a path / clear signage to do so?

Thank you and looking forward to some advice/pointers.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Dettifoss and surrounding falls - March 2014

Actually the view to the falls is better from the east side, but that is impassable in winter.

The new road on the west side is cleared once or twice a week, but snowstorms can render it impassable for days. So keep an eye out for conditions, and do not try to get there if it is snowed in: vegagerdin.is/english/… The walk from the parking is at least 30 min. in winter, and you need good shoes and cleats are good as well, snow shoes even.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Dettifoss and surrounding falls - March 2014

yep, i was aware east side view is better but i guess that's not possible for my time of visit.

so if we want to hike to selfoss and hafragilsfoss then that will be knee-height snow all the way kind of walk, i presume? are there signs indicating the trail directions?

thanks.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Dettifoss and surrounding falls - March 2014

If little, or hard packed snow, you can walk upstream to Selfoss. But Hafragilsfoss is to far away, and not good downstream from west side.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Dettifoss and surrounding falls - March 2014

okie. got it. thanks!

5. Re: Road to Dettifoss and surrounding falls - March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:22