We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shannon Oaks Fire..

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,986 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Shannon Oaks Fire..

The Shannon Oaks has been damaged by fire which began in the Kitchen area. The Hotel will be closed for some time.

www.rte.ie/news/2011/0907/portumna.html

6 replies to this topic
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shannon Oaks Fire..

Saw that on the news Tony.

My friend had phoned there yesterday making enquiries for a mid week break over the mid term school hols.She had intended to book in the next day or 2.I guess she has to change her plans now !

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shannon Oaks Fire..

I am sorry to hear that, Tony.

Funnily enough, I was looking at an ad for their special offers in the paper today.

I decided it was a bit too close to home, and am still on the lookout for someplace for next week.

Although if the weather does not clear up, I might have to rethink our plans:-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,986 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shannon Oaks Fire..

A real effort had been made to turn the place round after struggling so hard last year. No one was hurt directly but I have friends and neighbours with no work tomorrow. How it will effect the rental cottages will be known soon but it is just a shame for all those affected directly and indirectly.

We are in Ennis for the night next weekend as part of a tour. Close to home but still one of the best places in Ireland as far as I am concerned. no harm in staying local.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shannon Oaks Fire..

I agree completely, Tony. Local is definitely good. We often go back to Spanish Point or Ballyvaughan for a short break.

Just felt like going further afield this time as we have a full week off.

Hope you have a good night in Ennis at the weekend.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,986 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shannon Oaks Fire..

By some miracle and the good work of the 6 fire crews much of the Hotel has been saved but the area around the Kitchens is totally destroyed, A tour of some 70+ people had gone out from there in the morning but thankfully all their belongings in the bedroom areas were saved as the fire didn't get that far.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shannon Oaks Fire..

Glad to hear everyone is Ok.Such a terrible shame & my friend was so looking forward to her mid term break hols.

There was mention on something this morning that it was a fryer of some sort was responsible for the fire.

Reply to: Shannon Oaks Fire..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted