We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

tallaght, dublin...
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

Folks, we stayed in Ard Na Mara House in Calringford a few weeks back. Superb house, sleeps 15 minimum!!!

All here: I would highly recommend.

links here www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/holidayrent/1304518

and here carlingfordholiday.com/propertydetails.php…

Really couldnt credit this place enough, its super, about a mile at most out of centre of town.

Leprechaun and Fairy Underground Cavern
Caverns & Caves, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Skypark
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Carlingford to Omeath Greenway
Jogging Paths & Tracks, Scenic Walking Areas, Biking Trails
derry
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

Just back from a 3 night stay at Ard Na Mara with 12 friends. Webooked this for a friends wedding. Beautiful house in a stunning location. We paid €850 for the house for Friday, Sat & Sunday night along with a £130 deposit for any damages. We were informed on arrival that the deposit would be refunded by postal order and the cost of this postal order would be deducted from the £130!!!!! The owner apparently had no cheque book - find it had to believe that someone in the hospitality trade does not possess a cheque book - this is not mentioned in any documentaton received prior to arrival. The guy who took the deposit was extremely rude when I pointed this out! When we opened the sitting room blind on Sat morning - it fell apart!!! There was not enough hot water for everyone to shower, the TV didnt work in my room and the electric shower stopped working on Sunday. The guy that lives below knocked on the door at 12pm on the botton on the day of departure and demanded that we pack up immediately and leave. We left the house gleaming - brushed the floors, made the beds and washed all the dishes and work tops, removed all the empty drink bottles. Two hours into our journey home, the owner rang and roared down the phone at the girl who arranged the booking and informed her that we left the house in a mess and that we woul not be getting our deposit back!! In addition he informed her that he would be sending a bill for the additional damage!!! Damage that 13 people failed to notice before departure!! In summary - gorgeous house and location but the owner is a scammer!!!

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

I have just returned form a super weekend break with 9 friends at Ard na Mara House in Carlingford. Thankfully this review was not posted prior to my booking.

We arrived to the house on Friday evening and were very impressed! It is a fantastic house - 6 bedrooms - 5 ensuite and a separate bathroom - all decorated to a high standard. The kitchen is not huge but sufficient with everything you may need, but the living area is a big open plan space, which is great for large groups. There is a bell in the house that you can ring should you have any problems but we didn’t need to use this – nor did anyone bother us during our stay. The house was lovely & warm and we had piping hot water all weekend. We gave the deposit in cash on Friday and it was explained to me that I would receive the deposit by postal order (in full) within a week if the house was left as we found it – I have since received this.

We requested the possibility of a late check out. As per our terms & conditions received well in advance, check out is 12 noon, which is understandable if there is another booking arriving, however, as there was no one checking in straight after us, the landlord kindly allowed us to stay on until 4pm.

As the previous review states, the house is in a stunning location with stunning views. We had no problems getting taxi’s into the village at night. We ordered food to be delivered on Friday night from a deli in the town – Food for Thought – fantastic food & very reasonably priced. All in all a really great weekend was had by all and we will definitely book Ard na Mara next year for our weekend in Carlingford!

Mentioned in this post
Carlingford
Carlingford
Cooley Peninsula, Ireland
mississippi
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

Beeret1 - nice advertisement. More believable if you had ever posted before!

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

rainbowtravel - I felt the need to respond to the previous review as my experience was very positive. It is my first time posting, but everyone has to start at some time and that shouldn't make my post unbelievable. I always read reviews on trip advisor before travelling and with only 1 negative review, I would never have booked Ard na Mara if I had seen the previous review - hence I felt the need to comment. Completely honest review - take it as you will.

Belfast
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

My family and I (ages 2 - 60) spent a long weekend at Ard Na Mara House during the Easter break. The house and location are excellent. The property is a short walk from the town and the views from the house really are beautiful.

Rooms are all a good size and well decorated. There were 13 of us staying and it never felt crowded. There is a large garden and a fantastic wrap around patio for bbq's.

Owners recomended places to eat and drink and we had a super meal at the Bay Tree on the sat night - its well worth a visit.

We also spent a half day at the activity center - everyone (irrespective of age) took part in some way or another. This was great craic, was well run and is worth doing.

The service provided by the owner was excellent both before and after booking. All questions were answered quickly and clearly. I enquired about flexible check-in/out and was advised (as is only fair and expected) that this would be subject to bookings either side of ours. We were informed before our trip that the property was free either side and thus we were not to feel time pressured.

The owner stays in an apt just under on one side of the property so he is on hand to help with any issues (though we had none) and provide additional services if requested. Other than checking in and out we did not hear or see anyone.

We paid our breakage deposit in cash on arrival and despite informing the owner that I had broken a few glasses it was returned in full within 5-7 days.

All in all a great trip, we hope to return sooner rather than later and I will be recomending to family and friends.

Edinburgh, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

We stayed in this house in early Feb for a family weekend.

Can't fault the house (apart from a few bits and pieces , TV not working well , an en-suite shower not working...etc) and the location is stunning . Carlingford is well worth a visit. Would be an amazing place t stay in summer with great views over the Lough.

The main problem we encountered was the heating. It was a particullarly cold weekend , and the heat was set on a timer , and went off at ten at night.

We couldn't get access to the controls , so after the first night , the owner came round and 'extended' the hours of heat by a little , but it was still freezing at times.

Despite phoning the owner several times the second night , we didn't get a response and had to put up with it.

Penny pinching or just one of those things. I couldn't say.

Also , as its a theme above , our deposit was returned in full and in a timely manner.

All in all , house is great but needs a bit of attention and better management.

Mentioned in this post
Carlingford
Carlingford
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

We stayed in Ard na Mara last weekend for 2 nights. There were 15 of us in total and we were very comfortable in the house. The bedrooms are large and spacious and bathrooms were clean and working fine (bar one shower which was out of order but there were loads to share). It was the nicest weekend of the year and we made the most of it by using the patio area quite a lot, we had a bbq and a few drinks outside, it was gorgeous.

The view from this house is magnificent and we felt as if we were on holiday abroad!

My only little gripes would be that the double doors from sitting room to patio area could not be opened, and the fridge is a little small for the amount of people that can use the house. Other than that I found everything to be well catered for and the owners were friendly and helpful both in person and via e-mail.

We had originally wanted to stay in a house in town but we all agreed that we chose the perfect spot for us, nice and quiet but not too far from town. I would definitely go back to this house!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

YAWN...YAWN.... Give it a rest please. It's not an advertising site.

Waterford, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

Re; Ard na Mara House, Carlingford, Co. Louth.

Myself and 12 other girls recently returned from a two night stay in Ard na Mara House. It was a friend's hen party. On arriving to the house, we were warmly welcomed and received, given the keys and any other relevant information about the house.

As there were 13 girls in total in the house, we thought in advance that this was going to be chaotic with everyone wanting showers etc but Ard na Mara proved to be just ideal for us. There was ample hot water, towels and showers available for us.

The house was so spacious, the dining room had a breath- taking view of the Lough and was perfect for us to have such a memorable weekend.

The house was in immaculate condition, every facility was made available to us. The bedrooms were decorated beautifully and tastefully accessorised. The owner of the house was ever so helpful and made contact during the stay to make sure that everything was going well. There was a bbq, garden furniture and fabulous gardens surrounding the house.

I would highly recommend this house to anyone. All girls on the hen highly praised the house and we plan to return for another stay after the wedding!

To sum up as I could go on and on.... praising the house, a great weekend had in a well- run and managed house.

Mentioned in this post
Carlingford
Carlingford
Dublin, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ard na Mara House Carlingford Lough

Just back from a weekend in Ard Na Mara. Super house in great location!! It's 5 mins from carlingford town by car. The house is very nicely decorated - a home away from home and the view from the living room is amazing!! It's my second time to stay there (first time for a hen and second time for a family weekend away - perfect for any occassion!) Would have no hesitation in going back again :-)