We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlingford Campsites?

Belfast, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Carlingford Campsites?

Hi

Are there any campsites in and around Carlingford? Did a search but no joy.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Skypark
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Leprechaun and Fairy Underground Cavern
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Caverns & Caves
Escape HQ
Room Escape Games
12 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

Hi Ribbler

The only place I can think of is the Caravan Park at Giles Quay which is about 5-6 miles away from Carlingford. Giles Quay overlooks Dundalk Bay louthholidays.com/accommodation/…

However, I'm not sure if they are for Caravan/Motor Homes only -or- if camping facilities are available too.

Would you consider a Hostel? Carlingford Adventure Centre have hostel facilities - again, not sure if you need to participate in their activities or can avail of accommodation alone http://www.carlingfordadventure.com/

Might be no harm to contact either, and see if they can facilitate you.

Belfast, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

Hello LittlePumpkin!

Many thanks for the reply; as I feared!

No the lads are insisting that we actually do the whole camping thing so alas, hostels & B&Bs are out.

Regards and thanks again

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

GYLES QUAY DUNDALK ,

The first thing I would say about this place is to avoid it like the plague .

We had the misfortune to stay here last weekend and will not set foot in the place again .

When we booked it we were under the illusion that is had 139 pitches as described in the camping Ireland book. In fact it has seven touring pitches and the rest are mobile homes .

The pitches are hard standing and are in good order as are the toilets .However the playground is a disgrace and really pathetic .It is also some distance from to pitches .

There was a party in the site pub with a coach load coming to it from Belfast on the sat night .The party continued noisily into two statics and was still rocking at 7.00 am as i went out with our dog .It carried on all that morning and was in full swing on the decking as we left lunchtime Sunday .Nightmare stuff

The local beach is dreadful and full of litter and broken glass .

The attitude of the management is the real issue here .It is obvious that they have no interest in caravaners judging by their attitude to a fellow Caravaner whom due to a mix up only paid for one night instead of two .When he tried to pay for his second he was told in no uncertain terms to leave .He explained that he had booked for two nights and it was an oversight but to no avail .He and his young family were told to leave and his pitch given to someone else .

I was totally appalled by this and have never seen the like of it anywhere on this island .

I was told by a resident that they only have the touring pitches to satisfy their conditions for the park and have no interest in tourers .

Avoid this place ..Its only for his mobile cronies not tourers

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

We always used to stay at the Omeath hostel, you could check to see if camping is still available.

Armagh, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

Hi Ribber

Based on my recent experience there, I would strongly recommend that you avoid the Caravan site in Gyles Quay Dundalk.

It is a large mobile home park (approx 140 pitches) but are only 7 pitches for Caravans and I don't think there is a camping area at all.

When myself and my family stayed there, in our touring caravan, we experienced extermely poor customer service from the management.

It is not family friendly, in fact not friendly at all.

If you have transport I would suggest Kilbroney Park in Rostrever Co Down. It is a wee bit of a drive from Carlingford but it has excellent camping facilities and the management are helpful.

Sinead

Armagh

Belfast, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

Hi folks

Many thanks for the comprehensive replies - not good, I am sorry you received such shoddy service. I hope you post these to the main review section for this place.

In the end we decided to go to Castle Archdale at Enniskillen

Regards

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

I stayed at gyles quay campsite a few times and I have always found it to be of a very high standard. Great facilities - shop, childrens arcade, playground, very clean and kept very well. Ive never experienced any issues with management and only found them to be pleasant and helpful. There are only 7/8 campsites and the rest are mobile home units - the only problem I find is that its very difficult to get a reservation as its always so busy!

We have not yet been to Rostrever but Ive heard its a nice park.

Belfast, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

Castle Archdale was really good, facilities top notch! Would go back but to be honest I remain unconvinced re: Gyles' Quay, which is a shame as I really enjoy Carlingford - B&B I think is a safer bet

Thanks everyone.

newry
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

Stayed in the campsite in Gyles Quay for the last number of years. Kids found it brillant. Yes, it is always busy but I book in advance - it is the time of year. The caravan park is very clean, people friendly and the beach is fine and safe to swim in. We will be going back again.

dublin.ireland
Level Contributor
188 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carlingford Campsites?

I’m so sorry to hear Gylesquey has gone downhill, we spent every year for the summer when My children were young, they are in their late 20s now, they still talk about it with fond memories, We are planning for all of us to go back for a weekend this summer, Now I’m thinking we should rent a cottage in Carlingford and go up for the day and bring them down memory lane. Thanks Trip Advisors for writing of your experience. Tina.

Reply to: Carlingford Campsites?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted