We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

Which Slane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Topic
Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

I am going to be near Slane on my birthday. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant in the area? It does not have to be right in Slane. We can drive to a good one.

I would like to find a place that is not terribly expensive. (Remember the dollar to euro exchange rate that is not the best this year!) Perhaps a restaurant with an early bird?

Looking forward to your suggestions. And many thanks in advance.

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

Well, I guess I will find something when I arrive. Or maybe cook myself dinner in my self-catering cottage.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

Sally - Clauds has been to Canada, and I'm sure that when she gets onto the forum again, she might have some great ideas.

No ideas myself, but the onlt places of interest that I could find (from GC guidebook) in that neck of the woods is:

http://www.bellinterhouse.com/index.php

georgespatisserie.com/cms/…article_61.shtml

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

Sally

Bellinter House is great, however I wouldn't recommend the Poets Rest (restaurant at Georges patisserie) which is in Slane. I know that I have sung its praises in the past, but wouldn't be a 'special' place for a special dinner for your Birthday. Food is good, but service/ambience wouldn't do it for me for a special treat. Good for a spot of lunch or coffee and a slice of George's renowned cakes.

My No 1 choice in the area would be the Forge Gallery in Collon which is in the next village www.forgegallery.ie about 10 minutes away.

Other alternatives would be to hit either Navan or Drogheda. Let me know if you would consider this and I will give you some suggestions.

Another choice would be Bella Italia at the Spire in Duleek. Restaurant is situated in an old church and churchyard. http://sites.google.com/site/spirerestaurant/

Reasonably priced good homecooked italian food. We were there last Saturday night with a group of friends. Had starters, mains (pizza/pasta) and each couple shared a dessert, coffees, some beers and wine (which worked out at a bottle of wine per couple) and it worked out around 60euro per couple.

Hadn't realised that Clauds knows about this area too Ferdia - so looking forward to her suggestions!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

Sally passed through Slane the other week and had a meal in The Old Post Office. It was a reasonable local joint but I wouldn't think very suitable for a birthday dinner. Might be worth popping into for lunch!

http://www.theoldpostoffice.ie/

We did pass The Poet's Rest which looked nice and had a few recommended badges outside the door :-)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

LP - I only posted on this thread to bump up Sally's question, as it didn't seem to be getting any hits.

Good job though - as you seem to know that area.

My random mentioning of Clauds (sorry Clauds) is more of a reflection of my limited knowledge of that area than anything else!

I honestly have no real idea as to Clauds dining history - probably Clauds is the only one that has that info, so shouldn't have preempted.

Sorry about that!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

Personally I wouldn't recommend Bellinter. When I ate in it the food was distinctly average, overpriced and a 15% service charge added on for non-existent service obviously making the staff feel they don't have to try. At least three tables around us had to send their food back.

There are reviews of Bellinter and its food and restaurant on Trip Advisor (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g315882-d611037…) which may hep you make your own mind up.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

Just thinking Sally - if you are prepared to travel a little bit further out of the Slane area - the Station House in Kilmessan would be a great choice. They do a fantastic earlybird menu (around 25 euros) Monday to Friday. You could head over and blow the cobwebs off on the Hill of Tara, then take a leisurely spin over to Kilmessan, eat and head back to Slane for the evening - stopping off for a bottle of something nice en route!. www.stationhousehotel.com

I'm intrigued you mentioning the dollar to euro exchange rate - I always though you were Irish!

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think this post got lost in an avalanche of others over the weekend.

LittlePumpkin, Thank you for your kind remarks and for thinking I am Irish. That is quite a compliment! I spend enough time there to make me a native and I suppose I am Irish at heart. Although I do enjoy the prices of restaurants better in the States. ;-) My favorite upscale, gourmet restaurant here at home has an early bird for $10. Now that is a bargain. You would pay that for a starter in Ireland. Now you know why Americans get sticker shock when they visit Ireland. We are spoiled for choice in the US.

I appreciate the suggestions and I will take a look at them. I will be in Slane for several days so I may get to sample more than one. I will let you know which ones I liked when I get back.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

Hope you have a great time Sally and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday Dinner Near Slane Co. Meath

LittlePumpkin, Thanks! I am hoping to bring some good weather with me. Stay tuned.

Get answers to your questions about Slane
More Slane Topics