We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Galway

NY, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Galway

Three adults hope to make a round trip visit from Galway to Ballinrobe Parish in Mayo and Roscommon in Connaught. We'll be docked at Galway from 8am to 4pm on a Friday in June. Any referrals for a car with driver? Any estimate of the cost? Thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,328 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Galway

Please, what are your plans for Ballinrobe & Roscommon (town)?

Edited: 22 March 2018, 07:41
NY, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Galway

Thank you. We'll dock in Galway at 8am. We hope to have a car with driver for a half-day trip to Ballinrobe Parish where we have a little information about family. If possible, we'd also like to drive through Roscommon Town in Connaught to experience the area. We have no specific information on family there. We must be back in Galway about 3:00pm/1400.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,328 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Galway

>> We must be back in Galway about 3:00pm/1400.<< 3PM is 1500 Hours.

Having driven these routes numerous times I think it would be more than a half-day trip.

Not sure of the hours hiring a private driver ( might have read an 8 hour shift with breaks)? I am sure someone on the forum is more aware of the regulations for hiring a private driver.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Galway

I appreciate your generosity. Would we have time If we limit the excursion to Ballinrobe Parish from Galway and return?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,328 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Galway

I am not a professional licensed driver. I just happen to travel frequently in & around Western Ireland.

Were you considering visiting South Mayo Family Research Centre?

Edited: 22 March 2018, 09:41
NY, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Galway

Thank you for your answers so far. We'll be on a cruise, docking in Galway for one day, hoping to visit Ballinrobe. I'm really confused about regulations. I mistakenly thought I could easily hire a driver with car. Not sure how to proceed now. Maybe a taxi ... but afraid we won't get a taxi back to Galway. What would you do if you didn't have a car?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,328 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Galway

>> What would you do if you didn't have a car?<<

Rent a vehicle, (try enterprise & ask for a pick-up) it is a fairly easy drive and you will have long daylight hours in June & you can easily see Roscommon town as well.

Other options..Take the bus from Galway to Ballinrobe, (Sorry, I am not familiar with this route) I would think you can google it.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Galway

I appreciate your patience. I won't ask more questions. But I wish I were you ... because unfortunately, I don't drive (we have terrific public transit in NYC) and after all my research I think the bus schedules are four hours apart. But maybe I can make that work. I think Ballinrobe is a small area for getting around. Thank you again. Wishing you a lovely day.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,328 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Galway

Not a problem, (I worked in NYC many years ago & used public transportation).

And, yes the town itself is small., with quite a bit of history to it & the surrounding area. St. Mary's Church has Harry Clarke Stained Glass Windows, which are stunningly beautiful.

www.harryclarke.net/ballinrobe_home.html

I do wonder if a bus from Galway to Claremorris might work, about a 20 + min. drive to Ballinrobe.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Galway

According to the Taxi Fare Estimator here, the journey for the three of you in a taxi - from Galway city to the town of Ballinrobe - would be between Euro 60 and Euro 80 each way (total Euro 120 - 160):

https:/…

These guys do 'Mini Tours' and I imagine they would be open to a Galway city to Ballinrobe roundtrip within your time constraints:

www.bigotaxis.com/services/mini-tours.html

Decide how much you want to spend all in (bearing in mind the full taxi rate, which is point to point, so to speak) and see if the taxi company will do a pre-agreed, overall price for your half day.

Traffic in Galway can be extremely busy but one thing in your favor is there will be less school traffic, as the majority of secondary school and college-level students will be left the city for the summer holidays.

Primary/elementary school and some examination students will still be around.

By the way, do you know for sure that your ancestors are from the town of Ballinrobe versus a surrounding rural area or a townland in the Parish of Ballinrobe?

Leave Roscommon for your next visit!

Reply to: Day trip from Galway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted