We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Hi folks,

I'm heading up to "East Westmeath" later this week on a bit of business. What I have to do will take less than an hour and I will drive from Limerick to Portlaoise, then up towards Kilbeggan on the N52. I will have my 14 and 18 year olds with me.

Other than the lovely town of Mullingar with its twin spired cathedral (beautiful building) and Lough Owel and Belvedere House and Kilbeggan Distillery, is there anything else that might amuse the offspring or even myself?

Historical artefacts are off the agenda - they tend to stand looking at them with a glazed look on their faces.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. We would hope to get up to the area by about 11am or so and leave the area again at about 5pm.

15 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
398 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Not sure if they can offer anything to non-groups but you could try contacting Lilliput Adventure Center on Lough Ennel 044 9226789.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Thanks Rostourist. I don't do cold water and the younger one doesn't do water full stop :o) But we will be heading out that way anyhow - I think. Need to look at the map again. I'd like to have a look at the lake.

Much appreciated.

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
636 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Ahhh my daddy's mammy was from Mullingar. It's on my to-see list.

Jealous.com here.

😊

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,269 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Every time after I've been to Mullingar, there has been a storm, went there in October 2011, storm afterwards went there in September 2012, storm afterwards. Not that is an helpful reply by any means, but felt like commenting. Was rather strange.

Have a lovely time and will read your update after you have been :)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Tarry, I don't know if you are aware but the first "recorded" tornado was in Kilbeggan. Obviously there were tornados before that but this one was recorded in the Annals of the Four Masters

Please stay away from the town until I have left it :o))

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Tornado must have flattened Mullingar as well best thing up there is the road out but you could go and see if you can find any sheep.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Ah Wrappido, its not a bad town at all. The Cathedral is absolutely beautiful. The twin spires are brilliant but the inside is very impressive.

The last time we were there we had lovely coffees and scones in a really nice and quirky coffee shop - it reminded me of the old (and sadly now gone) Killarney Book Shop. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,269 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

I'm not over Ireland until next year ;) You are safe. Everywhere you go always take the weather kind of thing.

Is that book shop you mentioned in the actual high street in Killarney? I remember visiting one that sold second and books etc, back in October 2010?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

Head over to Athlone and a trip on the Viking ship down to Hudson Bay Hotel.

10. Re: Quick Trip to East Westmeath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 14:17

Reply to: Quick Trip to East Westmeath
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mullingar