We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Euro

Which Fuengirola hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
Level Contributor
539 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
The Euro

Can anyone tell me what the euro is in Fuengirola today?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Euro

The bureaux were offering €1.05 in Carihuela this afternoon.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Euro

1.02 today yikes!!!

Bucks., england
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Euro

There have been a number of postings about using Nationwide ATM's rather than bureaux or other bank cards.......

As an example, I had to draw funds from 2 separate debit cards recently (21/1/09) just a few minutes apart...don't ask!!

I drew 300 euros from each - asking to be charged in euros rather than sterling

Nationwide charged me £281.17

Barclays charged me £285.36

Not a fortune but better in my pocket than theirs!!

Gus

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Euro

Much as I gnerally love Nationwide the rate one minute ago was:

Nationwide 1.0534

Travelex: 1.067

Not enough to get excited about but all those posts about airport rates being bad might be wrong.

Anyway why worry unless you have an enormous amount to change and even then it would only come to the cost of cup of coffee!

Bucks., england
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Euro

Manzana,

As a point of interest, where did you get the Nationwide exchange rate from?

If, as I suspect, it is the exchange rate offered from one of their branches then problem solved.....they are only offering "tourist" exchage rates. Using an ATM (or their credit card) you get access to the commercial rate - currently 1.1127 according to XE exchage !!

Gus

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Euro

I used Nationwide.co.uk to see what they would sell euros for in England - on the assumptiom that it wouldn't be any different here (if you do it you must use IE as a browser) and similarly with travelex.

Fortunately or otherwise I took the 'Guardian's advice and changed all my sterling some time ago at a rate which we can only dream about now so don't need to use an ATM!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Euro

The Nationwide exchange rate for ATMs outside the UK is the VISA wholesale rate, with a 0% (i.e. no) charge on top.

You can see it here:

…visa.com/pd/…

Sterling is at €1.12 for transactions today, the rate is updated daily and is by far the best you'll get using an ATM - to give an alternative:

RBS/NatWest charge 1.5% on a WORSE rate and then ADD a £5 charge, presumably for sheer cheek.

You don't have to move all your banking to Nationwide, just open a FlexAccount, which will give you a cashcard. Even better, for security reasons, is that as it's only a cashcard it's completely useless to anyone else should you lose it.

8. Re: The Euro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 09:29
Get answers to your questions about Fuengirola