We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scratch card scam fuengirola

Which Fuengirola hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ellesmere port
Level Contributor
149 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
scratch card scam fuengirola

was in fuengirola a while back had british couples all the time everywhere we went coming up to us, being friendly and giving a free scratch card which we won a prize on 100 euros, told no catch not a time share, just have to go collect the money, they get acommission or something. walked off in the end got pressurised, does anyone know what the scam is? and to warn other people who are going there to be weary

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: scratch card scam fuengirola

As i said on another post today regarding this, nobody gives you anything for free without a catch.. its common sense. This practice has been going on for years, especially in Spain. If you don't want the hassle just walk past them and ignore.. that simple :D

CB

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scratch card scam fuengirola

Well they obviously want you to buy something, Just totally ignore them and carry on walking. You have NOT won a prize, they are NOT giving anything away, and if you take them up on it YOU WILL BE CONNED!! This practice has been around for 20 odd years, you get it all the time in Gran Canaria, Benidorm, Malta, Portugal etc. They tend to hang around the start of Fish Alley. I have only been approached once or twice, but I just carry on past and they step away. Dont stop, and dont worry. Have fun!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scratch card scam fuengirola

Previous advice is correct.Ignore it. Every scratchcard is a winner. Winner of what? Chance to buy into a holiday club (not now as controlled as timeshare sales) you can't possibly win.

Think about it. If the scratched card says you have won E100 why can't the (pseudo) excited girl who gave you the card give you the money? Why does she have to call a taxi to send you off to collect your precious prize?

scotland
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scratch card scam fuengirola

I agree..I am sure we all got caught ( we did on our first holiday abroad)..I dont even say " No Thankyou" now..I walk on..and IGNORE.. best way

Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scratch card scam fuengirola

what i do with these people is say " Yay i won, but to be honest mate im loaded so im gona donate the prize to you, you have it on me" that soons sends them packing LOL ;-)

Cheers ;-) Wullie

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: scratch card scam fuengirola

haha good one Wullie.. or you could of course hit em over the head with a 3 iron ;-)

CB

7. Re: scratch card scam fuengirola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2009, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Fuengirola