We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A WARNING_scratchcards

Which Fuengirola hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
A WARNING_scratchcards

if you are approached with ANYONE with free scratchcards, tell them you're not interested and keep walking! if you accept one, it will ALWAYS be a WINNING ticket, you then have to go to the "office" to collect your prize. When you get there you are subjected to a high pressure 4-5 hour sales pitch on what is effectively a twist in timeshare!! at the end (after you have had to refuse any more- point blank!) you will be given a cheap bottle of cava or something claiming to be vodka. Best to just say no.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,053 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

They are always a front for timeshare companies, have been for 30 years, somethings never change.

Leeds
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

We were approached and silly me didn't walk on by! I took the scratch card and had a winner! I was promised all sorts of prizes, even 1000euros! At this point I knew it was a con because I never win anything! I gave the card back and said ...thanks but no thanks! :-)

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

elvis is dead!

Edited: 22 June 2012, 22:54
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

What???? Elvis?? When???

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

I know some of the touts can be a bit pushy, and if you find you cannot walk around them, when they ask you to take a card off the 'top of the pack' just smile and say, i will have the one 'off the bottom' they will know you are on to the fact, it is a scam and just let you pass :-))

Mind you the touts may have gotten wise to Brits doing this now, and have a winning ticket on the bottom as well..lol....we just keep our heads down and walk on by..after 16yrs you get immune to them..although i think their numbers are shrinking, we were over March - May and only saw a few by Benal Beach...

uk
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

top of the pack ? bottom of the pack ? for crying out loud they are ALL winning tickets ! !!

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

No tom, they dont waste them, a couple always has only 1 winning card between them. Coincidence? Dont think so. LOL

LANCS
Level Contributor
527 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

When we were stopped in May in Fuengirola the man tried to suggest it was a free holiday from Thomson. He told us a 3 week holiday in a 5 star all inclusive holiday would cost about £1500. I told him I was not interested in a timeshare yet he insisted it was a Thomsons holiday clearly a lie. They must be changing their patter to get punters in. We told him to 'Go away'

Teddy

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

Tell them you're hiding from HMRC due to owing £30k back tax and the winnings would be really helpful - strangely they lose interest rapidly at this point....

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,053 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A WARNING_scratchcards

Brings to mind good Jimmy Carr tax joke.

Earnings last year £3.4million, that means after tax £3.4 million.

Have to say when banning of liquids came into force, a scratch card , offered a bottle of wine to be collected from the airport on leaving country.

Idiots seemed to forget we may have friends who take us to airport, we could pass on too, had a lot of fun with this offer.

Have to say when children younger, getting free tickets for 5 to Tivoli World, well worth sitting for 2 hours, including drinks and taxi to and from our hotel.

Get answers to your questions about Fuengirola