We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town?

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midwest
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Which town?

In April (including Semana Santa) I'll be in Spain for three weeks of language school, then I will be walking the Camino de Santiago alone (60yrs woman). I have to pick the school/location in the next few days, and was thinking of Sevilla, Malaga or Nerja. I'm looking for advice on which town: Staying in a small town sounds nice, but I've heard that Nerja is no longer nice - too overdeveloped/tacky tourists places/feels like you're not even in Spain. Also, I want to experience Semana Santa, and people say that Sevilla is so jammed that it's not worth the hassle to try to go there, and Nerja's processions aren't much. I want abe in a place where I can feel comfortable walking around at nite by myself. Advice on which town to spend three weeks in?

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town?

Go to Malaga, you are very central there & it's a beautiful city. You can easily do day trips to other places if you wish. The Semana santa processions in Malaga are supposed to be the best in Andalucia, I can't comment personally though.

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town?

In defence of Nerja! - Along with many areas along the Costa del Sol Nerja has experienced a lot of development over the last couple of decades. It is still very easy to find tradition and a small town feeling however.

Applying the usual amount of common sense also makes it a pleasant and relatively safe place to walk around at night.

With a recently confirmed population of just over 20K it is impossible to make any comparison with Málaga and Sevilla, two of Spain's larger cities with approximate populations of 600K and 700K respectively! With such a difference in resources of all types there will obviously be a diversity in the size and quality of the processions on offer.

Nerja has several language schools and one that was discussed in the forum recently is the Escuela de Idiomas at Calle Cristo 73 in an older (and still quite Spanish) part of town. They offer their own accomodation just around the corner from the school and can be contacted on (+34) 95 252 1687. For the exact location look at the map on www.soltalk.com Ref. F4

Sevilla is over 100 miles nearer to your final destination which might be a factor or it might not, depending on your point of view.

Good luck with the walk, and when you get there don't forget your venera!

scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town?

Hello there, I was in Nerja for 6 weeks last summer and that was my 5th year there. I love nerja so much, it is a very safe place and very beautiful. There are lots of nice beaches and there is a great family atmosphere. There is a toursity area but that is only at one end, the rest of nerja only has white buildings and isnt built up. Also the touristy area is easy to avoid as me and my partner only stumbled across it once in the 6 weeks and it still isn't even that touristy compared to other destinations. If you like I can send you pictures of different beaches etc.

hope that helps!

Spain
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town?

You are right, GeezerGal - Nerja is no longer nice. Its just another touristy approximation of a Spanish town. If you are lucky you may find some people actually speak Spanish there!

It is full of Irish bars, English pubs, Italian restuarants etc. About the last thing you will find is a decent Spanish restaurant. They dont even give you a free tapa with a drink - usually because if they did, the ignorant tourists complain than they didnt order it!

An alternative for Senana Santa is Almunecar which has one of the best processions outside Sevilla and Malaga - and they give you free tapas in the bars.

scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town?

I went to many of the tapas bars in nerja and if you sit at the bar to have a drink they will give you free tapas.If you dont want to sit at the bar you usually dont get a free tapa but I would hardly count that as a reason against going to Nerja as the tapas aren't that expensive. Also these irish bars are in tutti frutti square which is for younger people I am 22 and woulnt even go there as the people are mostly younger than me but thats out of the way of the centre.If you stay in the centre near balcon de europa there is no cheesy irish bars.But everyone that works in these bars are spanish and I met lots of spanish people- more than english or other nationalities.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town?

Easter time in Nerja is a fabulous experience. The town is STILL very Spanish as lots of Spanish people live within the town & surroundings. OK there are a lot of tourists but that's because it's a special place....why wouldn't the word get out about it and the tourists flock there?

Very few people dislike Nerja, (IMO) most who visit, return again & again.

Nerja, Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town?

I go along with those who support Nerja. It's a holiday resort on the Med coast, so naturally it's going to try to attract tourists. Along with that come businesses geared to attract them and their money, and that inevitably means British-run bars, Irish-run bars, plus the rest. So what's the problem with that? They add to the national mix, but here they do not overwhelm the town as happens in so many other resorts along the coast.

However, Verdeval is quite wrong about being unable to find a "decent" Spanish restaurant. There are many, many excellent places to eat owned and managed by local people. It doesn't take much effort to find them, and they are well worth seeking out.

Tapas are commonplace in all Spanish bars. It's a shame Verdeval uses the word "ignorant" to refer to visitors to Spain, since they could infer from this that they're not welcome. Well, they are, and the numbers who visit Nerja every year without fail (many coming every summer) demonstrate that most people do not share Verdeval's opinions.

Even if you don't decide on Nerja, do at least take a day trip here! I have posted a note on the Semana Santa processions here in the thread "Easter week in Nerja".

(By the way, Verdeval, it's not Senana Santa, but Semana Santa. If you can't cope with that, use Easter Week - or more correctly - Holy Week.)

scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town?

yes there are lots of great resturaunts. I found them by walking past at lunchtimes and seeing which ones were packed out with locals!

My family have been going there for 25 years and I have been going since I was 14.

Madrid
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which town?

Don't miss on Holy Wed the procession called El Rico in Malaga.

As processions go by night you need one hotel in Malaga.

scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which town?

Can I just ask Verdeval what has happened to make your opinion of nerja so bad? Because in january you wrote on a post (and I quote) "I had some excellent tapas at Restaurante Colonia on Burriana Beach last week. 5 assorted tapas for 8.90 and all very good indeed".

I was very surprised to see that this was you who wrote this as you said there were no decent restuarants!