We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nerja to Lisbon

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nerja to Lisbon

My family and I are traveling in June from Nerja to Lisbon. Looks like we will have to get to the Malaga train station, take a train to Cordoba, on to Sevilla, and then catch a bus to Lisbon. This seems like there has to be an easier way??? It's my husband, myself, and our two boys. Trying to not make it a more painful day than it needs to be! Thank you for any reply.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

First of all, you do not have to go via Cordoba to get to Seville - there are regular direct trains from Malaga.

Alternative ways of getting to Lisbon - it is going to be a LONG journey whichever way you do it by public transport - is train to Madrid then train to Lisbon.

Alternatively, Portuguese Airways have flights from Malaga to Lisbon.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

There are buses that go from Malaga to Lisbon. It's obviously a long journey but you may feel it possible to break your journey at one of the stops such as Seville. Look at www.alsa.es

Otherwise check Air Nostrum the regional airline working with iberia. Had a feeling they do flights to Lisbon.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

Just found a direct overnight bus service from Malaga to Lisbon.

Leaves Malaga at 21.00 and arrives Lisbon 06.15

Fare €59 per person

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

Casaianda, Where did you find the bus? Would you direct me to the website please? Thank you so much for your help!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

Casainda, I found the website, thank you so much! Also, I couldn't find direct trains from Seville to Malaga at renfe.es, is there a different website I should check for the direct train? Thanks again.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

I put a sample date in to www.renfe.es & the trains are straight through.

Check this schedule out for 9th June:

horarios.renfe.es/hir/index.jsp…

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

Thank you senoraylan, I guess maybe the problem is the day I am selecting. I was able to find that fare for the day (June 9) you chose. We will be traveling on June 23. Maybe they don't have the schedule out yet that far in advance?

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
445 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

June 23 is the noche de san Juan. Maybe that's why the trains aren't running overnight.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

Is Noche de San Juan a local festival/ fiesta in Nerja? Sounds fun.

The train goes from Malaga and is unaffected. Often the timetables on www.renfe.es will only span a limited time. But on a busy line such as Malaga to Seville you can almost guarantee that the times will remain the same. The current times shown are up to 9th June. One day soon they will change it for a later date and you will see your full schedule for the 23rd. But maybe you will stay an extra day in Spain for the fiesta ? Mañana !

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
445 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nerja to Lisbon

I think midsummer's night is celebrated all over Spain. In Nerja everyone ends up on the beach at midnight to watch the fireworks, make a barbecue or paella, and have a dip in the sea to wash away their sins.