We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Feria fun for visitors?

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is Feria fun for visitors?

Hello, this is my first Spain post! My husband and I, both over 50, from California, will be in Spain Oct. 10-Nov. 2. We were going to rent a car in Madrid and head for Granada on Oct. 13, followed by Nerja. But I'm wondering if we should drive to Nerja on the 12th so we can catch the last night of the feria. Is that when there will be fireworks? From the descriptions, it sounds like the fair is mostly a bunch of noisy private parties in tents. So is that something for us to seek out or avoid? (Clearly our lodging should not be close to the fair.) - Ann

Nerja, Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Feria fun for visitors?

The fair is well worth a visit and is *much* more than a collection of private parties!

A lot of local groups set up very large marquees (known as "casetas") where they stage entertainment. This often includes some big local bands and they are sometimes open to the public for an entrance fee. These generally continue until the early hours of the morning, so don't expect an early nights.

The fair is a very important annual social event in Spanish towns and business more or less grinds to a halt for the week. It's important to be "seen" at the fair, and if you're in business, to entertain your clients appropriately. I've heard it said that local people will save up their pennies for the fair, in the same way as they save for a summer holiday.

However, a large funfair is the central focus and it's always great fun - some of the best rides and side shows you can imagine. There are daytime events as well, although not as many as in the fairs in the larger cities such as Málaga.

One tip! If you go to the evening funfair, make sure your loose change is securely held in your pockets. When I went to my first Nerja fair, I couldn't understand why there were lots of kids apparently loitering beneath one of the rides. Then I realised that when those on the ride were turned upside down, all the coins fell out of their pockets ... and were quickly collecting by the waiting gang!

And fireworks? Of course!! It wouldn't be a fair without fireworks!

Yes, it's noisy and many people who live close by move out for the week, but it's great fun and will give you an insight into an aspect of Spanish culture.

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Feria fun for visitors?

I agree totally with Nerjadave - the feria is great fun - for all ages.

Just apply the same common sense approach that you would to any scenario where there are large numbers of people, a tiny minority who are there for other reasons than enjoyment, and you will have a great time.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Feria fun for visitors?

Thanks, Dave and Jon. Am I right that Oct. 12 is a national holiday in Spain? If so, do you think there will be horrendous traffic driving south from Madrid that day?

Nerja, Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Feria fun for visitors?

Yes, October 12 is Spain's national day - Día de Hispanidad - and as it's a Friday this year, I guess a lot of people will make a long weekend of it. So, yes, traffic will be heavier than on a normal day.

(The same will apply in the late afternoon and evening of Sunday 14th as people return home, so leave extra time if you have to get to the airport then.)

Wednesday 10th is a local holiday in Nerja (so we get 2 days off that week!!) and because there's then only one working day before the 12th, many people here will take Thursday as a "puente" (bridge) day, giving them a run of 5 days off.

I'm sure we'll cope somehow ...

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Feria fun for visitors?

Might as well take Monday and Tuesday off, too! ;-)

Cheshire
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Feria fun for visitors?

Hi My family and I have been visitors to Nerja for at least 10 years and we absolutely love it. We love the people, the ambiance, the food, in fact everything about it. However there is one time of year we avoid like the plague and that is the October Ferria. It would be hard to avoid the horrendous racket as ithe noise seems to travel for miles on the night/morning air. It goes on throughout the night and usually finishes around 6am. The beaches are awash with make shift tents where whole families seem to gather and play music as loud as they possibly can and I have to admit seem to have fun. Whenever we have spoken to British ex pats living there they laugh when you mention the ferria and say that is the time when they make visits back home, so its not just us!!!! This is not to be confused with Saints days when the processions and fireworks are quite spectacular. I am sorry if I sound like an old fuddy duddy, some people obviously think it is wonderful but it is not for us. We have only been caught out the once NEVER AGAIN Lesley

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Feria fun for visitors?

yes, Feria is noisy, but it is (an important and integral) part of Spanish culture and life, enjoyed by all ages. Every country has its traditions - and long may they continue - such as Feria, Trooping the Colour, July 4th, Mardi Gras or whatever, and in the end it all boils down to individual tastes or preferences. If you are not the party type, don't visit during a major party I suppose is the best answer. If you enjoy or appreciate tradition, have a live and let live attitude....go for it.

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Feria fun for visitors?

P.S. This year, the Nerja Council is asking those running bars etc to play 'traditional' or 'cultural' music during the daytime, such as sevillanas, rumbas or other traditional Andalucían styles of music. The nightime is unrestricted. At the moment it is a 'request', but it has become mandatory in several other municipalities.

9. Re: Is Feria fun for visitors?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 22:20