We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

english or spanish feel

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
english or spanish feel

would like to know if nerja has a spanish feel about ,it as this would be our first vist to mainland spain,any advice from nerja visitors please

Nerja, Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: english or spanish feel

I believe it does - if you keep away from the blatantly non-Spanish bars and restaurants. There is certainly a large number of foreigm residents in Nerja (almost a quarter of the population, and not just ex-pat Brits), but it remains a delightful Spanish town with plenty of local tradition and culture.

The foreign owned businesses have their place, of course, and you may want to frequent one or two to learn about the area or get recommendations on places to visit. The English language magazines and papers (there are several) will help with this as well.

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: english or spanish feel

thank you,dave it sounds like it could be the place for us to vist,

for our first trip to spain,we both would like to try authentic tapas and local food.cheers halicod.

Nerja Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: english or spanish feel

Hi Halicod, There are plenty of traditional tapas bars and I recently posted a suggested tapas trail which you may find helpfull. Just do a search on this forum for nerja tapas trail.

Spain
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: english or spanish feel

Of all the towns/villages on the eastern Costa del Sol Nerja has the least Spanish feel to it.

True, if you search around you can find Spanish bars and restaurants but they are in the minority.

The vast majority of places cater for Brits and other northern European tourists - you only have to look at the number of places offering a "Full English Breakfast" to realise the non-Spanishness of the place.

Just look at the vast number of shops selling tourist tat - the Spanish would not be seen dead in any of these shops.

You will need to look further east along the coast to find anything remotely "Spanish".

Try La Herradura and Almunecar. 90% of the visitors who come there are Spanish. How many Spanish tourists come to Nerja - not many I think.

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
582 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: english or spanish feel

Whilst the population of Nerja in winter is 25% foreign, the main nationalities being British, Argentinian and German, when summer comes and the town almost quadruples in population, the vast majority of those visitors are Spanish. Nerja is still ostensibly a Spanish tourist resort. Even the local tourist office now logs more Spanish visitors/enquiries than other nationalities. True, there are certain areas which are very 'foreign', or 'British' orientated, such as Burriana beach, where full English breakfast and soaps are the order of the day, but there are others such as Playazo and Torrecilla beaches which are very Spanish, and long may they remain so. Turn off almost any major street onto the side streets and life suddenly becomes very Spanish indeed with lovely little tapas bars, 'home' shops and small, almost hidden 'plazas'. Yes, you will still find the odd foreign-run enterprise here and there but not many. The town probably is eventually heading towards an 'international' feel, as is happening all over the place and not just in Spain, but for the moment I think it remains firmly 'Spanish'.

Anyway, that's what I think but feel free to disagree.

Nerja, Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: english or spanish feel

It's a personal view, but I think Verdeval is overstating the position! Bemusednewt paints a much more accurate view, but it is a very subjective matter.

I find La Herradura, which is much smaller than Nerja, only has a predominantly Spanish feel in August when it is filled with domestic tourists (and when it is unbelievably busy, making parking next to impossible!) Almuñécar is a lovely town which, I agree, has more of a "Spanish feel" than some other resorts but still has plenty of foreign-owned businesses and opportunities to indulge in a "Full English Breakfast" (if you must!)

I'd dispute the fact that (other than in August) 90% of visitors to the Costa Tropical are Spanish. Agreed, the proportion will be higher than in the "traditional" Brit destinations - but not that high!

And, as one who lives in Nerja, I can confirm that this summer there have been many more Spanish visitors to the town than in previous years - even on Playa Burriana! The description "international" is an apt one.

And as for shops selling "tourist tat", you'll find these in any town along the coast. Of course the Spanish won't go near them - they're for tourists, not residents - but they provide a good living for a good number of local people every year.

But if you want a Spanish holiday destination without any foreign influence, you'd have to go inland where the scenery is terrific ... and the prices are generally lower!

Any more views anyone?

london
Level Contributor
409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: english or spanish feel

I'm with Dave and think Verdeval has really overstated the position. I couldn't quote numbers but the majority of bars and restaurants are still Spanish. True the number of English (and other foreign owned establishments) has grown considerably since I first went to Nerja 26 years ago. If you want to find English bars sure there are areas where they are in high concentration - I tend to see a lot of these open one year and close the next. However, the bars and restaurants that tend remain year after year are the Spanish ones.

The number of Brits visiting this year was down on previous years and Nerja remains a popular holiday destination with Spaniards. I think of Nerja as being quite cosmopolitan but predominantly Spanish. I personally think there is something to suit most visitors but the town undoubtedly moves to a Spanish rhythm.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: english or spanish feel

Yes NerjaDave I have a view.

I hope he stays in Almuneca & leaves us 'terrible' people alone!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: english or spanish feel

Verdeval obviously knows nothing about the tourists in Nerja. What a laugh saying no Spanish visit the town.........total rubbish.

Go to any burriana beach restaurant around 2-3pm, you'll find the Spanish make up 75% of the clientel.

nr. London
Level Contributor
88 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: english or spanish feel

I think the essence of Nerja is that it's managed to avoid the worst ravages of development (some call it progress) elsewhere on the Costas. Which means, dare I say?, that its market is perhaps a tad more discerning than you kight find in the mega-popular resorts. You don't see as many St Georges crosses and Sunderland football shirts as you would elsewhere on the Sol! So, if Torremolinos is the Asda crowd, I guess Nerja is nearer the Sainsbury/Waitrose part of the supermarket spectrum!

Arguments about its Spanishness quotient are really rather academic, because some like me will feel it has a reasonably authentic feel, whereas the hardcore Spano-philes will find it otherwise. But, it's certainly not a quaint little capsule of traditional Spain, and if that is your reason for visiting, you'll be disappointed

Ultimately, these things have to be viewed in context. And having been to several 'big' resorts on the Sol and Blanca, all I can say is that Nerja ticks plenty of the right boxes for me. And hey, what's wrong with the occasional British breakfast - I had a superlative English breakfast in Javea last year which is embedded in my memory, and which would put most greasy spoons over here in the UK to shame!

Get answers to your questions about Nerja