We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nerja alternative

Uk
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
nerja alternative

Maybe a odd question for a Nerja forum, anyway here goes. Having holidayed in Nerja 2 years running and loved it I am looking for an alternative. As much as I love it I think its time to try somewhere else and go back again in a few years.

I like spain, weather, people, food, cheap flights you know the thing.

Where else would Nerja fans recommend?

I like decent beach, spanish feel but still with tourist facilities, family friendly but not a theme park, places to visit nearby. We tend to ryan air, hire a car and apartment hence pretty flexible.

ta

j

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nerja alternative

Have sent you a PM.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nerja alternative

One of my other favourite places is Menorca.I think it would tick all your boxes.I used to like the Binibeca area but there are nice ,family friendly resorts all round the island.You could check it out on the Menorca Forums.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nerja alternative

I was impressed by Tossa de Mar on Costa Brava.Nearest airport Girona.I paid a lot for a 4* hotel (Gran Reymar-avoid it) which was the only disappointment so I think hiring an apartment would be best.It's not a bit like Lloret in case you were worrying.

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nerja alternative

This is something I have often wondered too, as much as we love Nerja it would be nice to see somewhere different, but I would hate being in a resort with a strip of bars/restaurants and not much else. I love the working town element of Nerja (and all the tapas bars of course!)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: nerja alternative

San Sebastian, Cadiz, Valencia. Fine cities with beaches, in that order IMO

Stoofer

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nerja alternative

Not in Spain,I know,but I think Lagos in the Algarve

is somewhere that has a similar vibe to Nerja.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nerja alternative

That is quite correct Hastonian.And the prices are lower too.Long airport transfer though- even worse than Nerja.Algarve beaches are better too.

Uk
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nerja alternative

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do some more research. My choices are restricted somewhat by flights (from Northern Britain). San Sebastian is difficult to get too and Menorca seems to be package tour operators.

I have been to Tossa De Mar albeit on a day trip however was impressed. Nice atmosphere, walks around castle area and even ‘though it a tourist town it’s not oppressive. I would recommend Tarragona if you ever in that area. Like a mini Barcelona without the big attractions, beaches nearby plus a nice ramblas, great cathedral, roman ruins and lovely plazas etc.

I would tend to go for a town/resort near a big city and do a trip to the city, rather than the other way round. The big resorts around Valencia are not by cup of tea. Are there other options in Valencia/Alicante area, Altea maybe?

Cadiz I will look into. I like the idea of being in striking distance of Seville. Any recommendations for towns/resort on this coast rather than staying in Cadiz itself?

j

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nerja alternative

We went to Menorca for many years and NEVER had a package holiday! We booked a flight and accommodation seperately.

There are some cheap flights to be had there if you keep surfing!

I did find the Menorca Forums very helpful in tracking down the cheapest flights and best ,good value accommodation etc.Worth a look .

Uk
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nerja alternative

hi Sheilamary3,

I am flying out of Scotland, north of england at a push and it seems to be only Thomas Cook and Thomson that fly to menorca direct which in my experience are priced high for flight only deals.

cheers

j