We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese food supplies

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Competa, Spain
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Chinese food supplies

Just found out that the chinese supermarket in Competa that stocked sauces and spices for chinese cooking have closed down.

Is there a similar shop in Nerja/Torrox or thereabouts where we can get fish sauce, sesame oil, chinese spices etc?

Thx

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese food supplies

The Iranzo Supermarket is probably your best bet.They stock a wide range of international products including Chinese,Thai and Indonesian.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese food supplies

I've seen ingredients for Chinese & Indian cooking in Mercadonna & Supersol.

Competa, Spain
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese food supplies

Where is Iranzo Supermarket located? Sounds worth a try.

Sure Mercadonna and Supersol do some of the basic Amoy type ingrediants. But they have a very limited range which comes and goes.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese food supplies

Iranzo Supermarket - Travelling along the N340 you arrive at the roundabout, where you turn down for the Parador hotel. The supermarket is located more or less on the roundabout junction, they have their own car park.

Just watch the sell-by dates of products you wish to buy, with such a large and varied stock, some products are very slow sellers.

Competa, Spain
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese food supplies

Think I know the supermarket you are referring to although I have never been inside.

We're going to pay Asian Ben's a visit tomorrow so we'll check out the supermarket then.

Thx

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese food supplies

I have used Iranzo's for ingredients when cooking authentic oriental and haven't been let down yet, and their wine selection is probably one of the best around.

Another fun place to have a look for spices and herbs is at the municipal market in Almñecar. It is open six days a week, from 09.00 to 14.00 and if you go on Friday you get the added bonus of the weekly market (mercadillo) with about 150 stalls selling just about everything.

Competa, Spain
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese food supplies

Dropped into Iranzo yesterday evening and picked up a whole load of spices and sauces. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bob

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese food supplies

off topic as usual.... sry. Ok about Chinese food, but what about Japanese stuff? Not only food, tatami mats, futons, furniture, chop sticks... etc etc? Just got back from a trip to Japan and I am in love. Anyone know someplace who import or sell Japanese stuff in Malaga or near Nerja? Benny? Arigatou.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinese food supplies

Hey Mike we also arrived from Japan a few days ago and are also in love with it.

I don't know where to get furniture, but El Club del Gourmet at El Corte Ingles has a good selection of Japanese products including Sake and Shochu which was a must for me there!

As for Iranzo supermarket, do you people know whether they sell Kaffir lime leaves? It is impossible to cook a decent Thai dish without them but it seems pretty hard to find them here...

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinese food supplies

Sorry MacPollo - that's pushing it, even for Iranzo's! We'll keep our eyes peeled though.