We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dunmore East...
Level Contributor
28 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

hi, I'm coming to nerja late october and have booked a hire car with doyouspain.com after reading some good comments about them on the forums.

However, the voucher they sent me allocates Goldcar as the suppliers of the car. I have read some very worrying comments about Goldcar in general (customer's credit cards being charged for damage they didn't cause etc).

I'm wondering has anyone had any good or even just-ok experiences with Goldcar? (all I've read have been bad)

I'm thinking of getting in contact with doyouspain to ask them to change my car hire to a different supplier.. I figure it can't hurt to ask!

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

they will change if you ask them. i use goldcar at least 4times a year all be it through carjet. i have never had any problems and always nearly new cars. they operate full full which i dont mind and will try to sell you extra insurance for wheels and tyres but i have annual policy. the only down side is it gets very busy at the counter.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

<they operate full full>

Did you mean full empty? As I think that the full empty is one of the main complaints (amongst other things) with this company.

Eastbourne, UK
Level Contributor
666 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

Likewise I have used Goldcar via Carjet several times without incident. They do have a full/empty fuel policy (but so do most of the others) which doesn't bother me as we normally do a fair mileage so can get the car back more or less on fumes. I don't think they will be able to place your rental with a company who do not operate this policy at Malaga - at least not at the price quoted for your rental.

As stated above, they may well try to sell you glass and tyre insurance (I think about €30 per rental) - and it is (ironically) those who haven't got this cover who seem to have been charged after returning home, so I have in the past agreed to that, but I do make sure that any blemishes are photographed on collection and return, and this is especially important if you don't have the extra insurance - you can also insist on them checking the vehicle on return even though that isn't required in their T&Cs.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

yes i meant full empty brain not quite in gear sorry

Dunmore East...
Level Contributor
28 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

Thanks so much for all the info. I had known about the full-empty policy - seems like most car-hire companies have this policy in Malaga - so not too bothered about that. It was more the other complaints - no car on arrival, dodgy tyres on cars, questionable credit card charges, etc that I was worried about.

I think I will ask to change, but it's good to get some balanced information at the same time.

Thanks again, looking forward to my first trip to Nerja :)

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

Not all car hire companies operate the full empty scam.

Helle Hollis, Lessaggro & either Europecar or Europacar (can't remember which one at present)do full full.

Also these companies don't scrutinise the cars because, as they say, they're insured.

Ireland
Level Contributor
190 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

Sorry to hi-jack but just looked up doyouspain and for a 6 day trip in Oct we can get an automatic Smart car for 116 eur (we already booked with carjet, the lowest class of automatic for 215 but haven't paid).

Normally we book the lowest category automatic and so far each time get a bigger car as they dont have very many of the small automatic.

Anyone see any reason not to change to doyouspain from carjet? The rental with carjet is for Goldcar.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

i would change i usually use carjet but the odd time have done what you are thinking and used do you spain. they are booking agents and you will proberbly get booked with the same company anyway. go with the cheapest. book soon through as prices can change very quickly. once booked you will know what company you have been placed with. usually this is goldcar.

Ireland
Level Contributor
190 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

Thanks.....have booked with douyouspain but haven't cancelled carjet yet as didn't get confirmation from doyou yet. Hopefully that'll work out - was 100 eur cheaper for the 6 days so fingers crossed!

There's only two of us travelling so even if we end up with the smartcar it doesn't really matter!

Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: doyouspain - goldcar - airport car hire

how did you work out with do you spain am going to tenerife and have booked a car with them but have seen bad reports about them on the internet since booking?

thanks