We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rosada mystery........??

gwent
Level Contributor
307 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rosada mystery........??

when in nerja last May we ate rosada which was gorgeous. We don't normally eat fish, so i thouht i'd find out what it is and recreate at home. Anyway....all i can find is conflicting info! Can someone enlighten me please?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rosada mystery........??

Rosada is one of my favourite fishes too. I believe it is another name for the pink bream.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rosada mystery........??

I ate it tonight and the restaurant called it wreckfish. I tried to find a translation a while ago and failed as it is called a number of things. I don't think it is available in England but maybe somewhere you can find it.

wales
Level Contributor
417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rosada mystery........??

I always thought rosada was halibut.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rosada mystery........??

And often described as Pink Hake.

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
562 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rosada mystery........??

I found this:

ROSADA: (Genypterus Blacodesmus) called Pink Cusk Eel in english (The rosada belongs to the same family as Hake, but its slightly pink-tinted flesh and skin gives it the name in spanish).

However, it also appears that the name 'rosada' is often applied to 'any' white fish.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rosada mystery........??

The plot thickens!!!!

Whatever it is,I am going to fry it today and have it for my dinner with garden peas and grilled tomatoes!! Yum Yum!! :)

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rosada mystery........??

Yes it is pink(rose) hake.A top-class speciality fish restaurant Stay in Puerto Pollensa Marina, Majorca serve it as one of their regular choices with a butter sauce.Quite a delicate flavour- not as delicate as sole- and fine grained white flesh in small fillets.I would think it is nicer steamed or poached than fried or sauteed.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rosada mystery........??

In restaurants here I have only seen it on the menu as frita or a la plancha(grilled)

Steamed fish,no thanks! It would take me back to school dinners!!! :)

Edited: 06 December 2009, 15:25
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rosada mystery........??

I know what you mean sm3.Personally I can't stand fish served cooked with skin on/bones in.I like fillets especially John Dory and monkfish (my are they ugly when you see them with their heads on!) which you sometimes get in fish restaurants in Spain.Even nicer with a bottle of Torres Vina Sol.

basingstoke
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rosada mystery........??

Hi

When I tried Rosada in Sevillano I was told it was Monkfish.