We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nerja - Blue Flag Beaches?

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
880 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Nerja - Blue Flag Beaches?

Hi Everyone

I was very disappointed to read on the other thread 'Nerja - some truths' about the quality of the sea water in Nerja and the fact that there is no sewage treatment plant. We have booked to go in May for the first time and always enjoy swimming in the sea and a bit of snorkelling.

Thought I would do a bit of research to find some nearby beaches which have clean sea water. I went to www.blueflag.org and Burriana beach is listed so it sounds as if it is okay. Ferrera beach at Torrox was listed as well.

Can anyone throw any light on any of this for me please?

Is there anywhere to snorkel round about?

Thanks in advance,

Jean

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nerja - Blue Flag Beaches?

You can expect a variety of water conditions when visiting Nerja (or Torrox) anything from crystal clear water perfect for snorkeling to ...

suspicious foamy greasy deposits on the surface. As long as you are aware and watchfull you should have no reason to worry about your holiday.

The snorkelling around Nerja especially can be excelent when the conditions are right.

Unfortunately the blue flags and lack of water treatment plant are political issues, as such neither can be relied on.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nerja - Blue Flag Beaches?

Very well put CleanKen.So diplomatic.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nerja - Blue Flag Beaches?

If you look at my last comment on the other thread, in response to a

contributor who said my comments about the med were wrong. I'd suggest looking further into what a 'blue flag' actually means.

In terms of snorkelling, your enjoyment will also be dependent on what experiences you have elsewhere, what you are comparing it with.

Sea quality is like beach quality. If you're used to the sand in Clearwater Florida, you won't be impressed with the 'sandy' Burriana beach. Same applies with the water.

Stoofer

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nerja - Blue Flag Beaches?

Have sent you a PM.

Northampton/Frigilia...
Level Contributor
248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nerja - Blue Flag Beaches?

Burriana is OK about 50% of the time in Summer. The other 50% you do get the infamous "sh*t slick" . I wouldn't dream of swimming off burriana if the brown scum is on the water.

But the rest of the time it's fine. Even in these conditions sometimes the water is not clear enough for snorkelling though.

Most people new to Nerja don't even see or notice the slick as they seem quite content to dive head first through and under it.

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
880 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nerja - Blue Flag Beaches?

YUK!

Thanks everyone for the info.

Silly me thought they tested the water quality before awarding a blue flag.

Will use the pool if it's not too cold or go elsewhere.

Cheers, Jean

7. Re: Nerja - Blue Flag Beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations