We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town centre or surrounding area?

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
13 posts
Save Topic
Town centre or surrounding area?

I read the thread from the family who had their holiday ruined by fighting in the street.

I would agree with the comment that if they came again to the town to seriously consider staying somewhere a short distance away from the main town.

We always stay in the general Capistrano area where the views are spectacular but it is very, very quiet at night.

The downside is the need to drive down to town or the beach. On the upside, you have a car if you want to take a trip somewhere.

I was also astounded at the price paid for an apartment, for just a little more they could have rented a villa with its own pool. We pay half that for a large 3 bedroom house right next to the pool.

Most of the postings on this forum seem to greatly favour being based in the town rather than nearby. I would like therefore to hear the opinion of anyone with children who has done both.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

I have done both.In the past I liked Oasis de Capistrano very much. Stayed there year after year .Lovely and peaceful,beautiful gardens and great views. Not bad walking into town but car advised for walking back. When we came with children we did always have a car.

Now I live here I have mainly been based within walking distance of town. In season there will be more street noise in the centre but you don´t need to be all that far out to avoid it. Also there will be rooms,apartments etc that are quieter than others. It pays to ask before you book.Depending on where in the building/complex there are situated. Verano Azul is a bit closer that Oasis,Capistrano etc. if booking there I would avoid the apartments nearest the road. I lived at the back of there for two years and it was lovely and quiet.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

I think it's worth noting, that there are very very few reports of such fighting.

Also that a large number of visitors (look at historic postings) that arrive to stay in places like capistrano, post that they find the location a nuisance and would have prefered to be closer to town. Includes those with children.

On your question, my experience for what it's worth:

I've stayed outside of the town before, there are some nice complexes for a relaxing holiday but if you want to be on holiday in Nerja you'd do better staying in the town. That was my conclusion from trying various options over the years, including villa on the way to Frigiliana, Capistrano many years ago.

It does depend on the visitor type. I don't want to have to get in a car to be in the town I've chosen to visit, we have always had a car for day trips but at night I want to open my front door and be in town and by the beach. By day it makes chaging from the beach so easy. Children get sick of either walking to and fro, adults get sick of trying to park and having watch what they drink etc. etc.

My overall feeling has always been, If I want to visit Nerja I'll stay in Nerja, if I want a nice holiday in a gardened complex with a nice pool, Capistrano is an option but there are better options elsewhere in Spain. The question is why are you visiting Nerja, then you can decide what will suit you.

Stoofer

uk
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

hi

we thought nerja was a quieter sort of place which is why

we chose it. is there mutch trouble. we have not read this

thread before.

thanks

the macs

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

I agree with Stoofer, it depends really on what you are looking for.

While staying on the outskirts can seem appealing because of the peace and quiet, the novelty soon wears off, especially with kids, when a simple trip to the beach becomes a major logistics exercise.

Parking problems, having to always think twice before having a drink if you are driving, not being able to 'nip back' for something forgotten or to replenish supplies - or having to take more out than you might otherwise do - are, in my view also, good reasons for staying in the town itself.

Not all in-town areas are noisy, although generally not as quiet as on the outskirts, naturally.

On this subject of fighting in the streets, I have seen maybe two or three instances - and short-lived one-off's - in all the time I have lived here. It is certainly not something you see on a regular basis by any means, even in the busy summer months.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

Bigmacs question is why we need to be careful of what's posted IMO

I think we need more people to confirm they've had problems otherwise dismiss it as a one-off. I've known Nerja intimately for 25 years and IMO any suggestions that Nerja should be avoided due to violence, drunks, drugs etc. is very exaggerated to say the least.

Bigmacs,

I really don't think you need be concerned. If Nerja has a trouble spot, you can bet other resorts have more and worse. The costa del Sol is not the perfect little paradise some like to think, there is a lot of crime and violence along the coast but I've rarely seen it in Nerja.

Stoofer

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

I commented on the earlier thread that I had never seen a fight in all our time in Nerja. That isn't to say that it never happens, just that we've never witnessed it, & we are out late at night! I feel Nerja is a very safe place & agree that you would be more likely to see this behaviour elsewhere on the CDS. We know quite a few single females & they have no qualms in walking home late at night.

As for places to stay... we decided that when in Nerja we wanted to be 'in it', so to speak. We didn't want all the previously mentioned hassles of taxis, long up hill walks or driving. We wanted to go out of the front door & be within a few minutes of the town centre. I know that it may be difficult to find a quiet place in town but if you imagine that most apartments have 4 sides, one will invariably face a road, so obviously avoid that as you will get the noise of people leaving bars etc & the dreaded late night bin emptying. Quite often the opposite side will face the gardens & the sea. Then at night you will hear a pin drop or just the waves on the rocks! ;-)

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

" if you imagine that most apartments have 4 sides, one will invariably face a road, so obviously avoid that as you will get the noise of people leaving bars etc & the dreaded late night bin emptying. Quite often the opposite side will face the gardens & the sea. Then at night you will hear a pin drop or just the waves on the rocks! ;-) "

Exactly the point I am making! I lived on Calle Huertos for a year and did not sleep in my bedroom over the street. Slept in the middle bedroom which was quiet and peaceful. I am also one of those single ladies who quite often walks home late at night and feels quite safe. You have no need to worry. I think that this family was really unlucky. Not only have I not witnessed any trouble,none of my friends have either. I also replied to that thread and sympathised.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

We have been to Nerja five times now, always in the July /August period and have stayed around Torrecillo beach area. On one occasion about three years ago, towards the end of our stay, a group of young backpackers decided to stay on the beach at night. Our apartment overlooked the beach and it we were kept awake for a few nights with their shouting and bottle smashing into the wee small hours.It was quite annoying to say the least. This was the only time during any of our visits that we had any disturbance and really this could have happened to us at home during the Summer months too. On the whole we have had peaceful stays in Nerja with no sign of anything to concern us and now I just make sure I bring earplugs just in case.

I think everyone needs to be realistic about potential crimes and antisocial behaviours that are happening everywhere in the world and take the same safety precautions on holiday as you would at home,

Coming back to Nerja in July/Aug and looking forward to this!!

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

We have done both (with a child) and much prefer staying in town. We stayed at the Acapulco Playa apts last time and have booked them again this year. Although they're near bars/restaurants etc we have never had any trouble with noise. The apartment complexes like Capistrano further out of town are lovely but we find it a pain having to drive/catch a bus/taxi to get into town for a meal at night. And as others have said parking in Nerja town centre is not the easiest of things to do.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Town centre or surrounding area?

Before moving here permanently, we also stayed in the Acapulco Playa complex, 3 times a year for 5 years. They are in what I consider to be one of the best location for holidays.

Regarding fights etc. Nerja is a very safe holiday destination.