We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burriana walk to Balcon

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
Level Contributor
32 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Burriana walk to Balcon

Can anyone tell me what this walk is like. Some places says its 5 min pleasant stroll and some say more. Is it all on a flat path or more difficult ??? Thanks

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

I couldn´t do it in 5 minutes and I walk fast!

There is a short steep climb as you leave Burriana but it is flat once you reach the Parador level.

A pleasant 15 minutes walk is more like it.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 06:07
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

I agree. I once timed myself from Los Huertos apartment complex to the Balcon (walking briskly) It was a good eight minutes. It would be at least five from there to get by the Parador to Burriana. Depending on fitness,the walk up from Burriana IS steep .Thankfully fairly short to the Parador.After that,on the flat.:)

Edited: 01 March 2010, 07:41
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

IME It's easy & quicker on foot, with no bags, pushchairs etc. To walk along the sea edge or beach itself and climb the steps below Carabeo. Depends if 'on' Burriana beach or in a complex north of the beach. The beach route is quickest when having lunch at Ayos or being on the beach rather than north of it, in which case you go around.

Stoofer

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

Stoofer, If we visit Burriana that's what we do. Zig zag hill from the Parador & steep road down & then beach + steps back up. The road & zig zag is horrendous (it's not called cardiac hill for nothing!) on the way up, hence why many visitors never venture out of Burriana.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

Hi Halwayers

I'm a steps man all the way, both directions. Our favoured residential

area is near the old town and we only venture to Burriana for Ayo or merendero ? (forgotten name) paella's or smoked sardines.

We are those strutting bods you see walking the waters edge but never swimming, LOL Just love the walk and the view, it gives an appetite and then walk off lunch on return to make room for tapas :-)

So we only have lunch and retreat to town. In the minority I'm sure but I'm not really a fan of Burriana Beach, if it wasn't for the two lunch places we use I'd never go there. It's pretty much a resort on its own IMO.

Stoofer

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

<<In the minority I'm sure but I'm not really a fan of Burriana Beach, if it wasn't for the two lunch places we use I'd never go there. It's pretty much a resort on its own IMO.>>

We too may be in the minority, as we're not fans either. To us it's a man made resort, it's OK but just not the real thing. We probably haven't visited for about 2 years now.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

We too favour the route you have described, Stoofer. Paddle along the waters edge, and then up the steps. Usually do this once on our holiday just for the experience!!.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

Have to agree with Stoofer and Halfwayers - we too are not fans of Burriana. Man made so lacking character and, at times, very iffy water quality.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 18:55
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

Perhaps I'm not in the minority of regulars here then :-o

If I use a beach to lay on and paddle around spending a lazy hour or two , it's usually El Salon. Before the new development and Cochrans etc, it was often very quiet with folk not realising it was there. Spring 2008 last time I went on El Salon, it was busier than previouis years but still more pleasant than Burriana, less people, better sand, less current, just no chrionguitos.

I do though think Burriana is a dramatic setting.

Stoofer

Nerja
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Burriana walk to Balcon

It hasn't actually been possible to walk along Burriana beach beyond the Parador to the Carabeo steps for quite a few weeks now as the bad weather has washed the beach away! Just lots of huge, rugged rocks and sea where the beach used to be - sadly!