We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about our holiday now

Cheshire
Level Contributor
245 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about our holiday now

I've just read a review from someone who has just come back this week from the Hotel Los Arcos and gives it a really negative write up, as we are due to go there on Friday I am very worried about going. We were looking forward to going to Nerja for the first time and booked this hotel after other reviews read favourably.Has anyone else stayed there recently who can put my mind at rest as what this person says has put a downer on our holiday. :-(

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about our holiday now

I honestly wouldn't worry about one bad review so long as the rest are OK. You always get somebody who isn't happy with something, even in the best hotels.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about our holiday now

i have stayed there quite a few times and always found it good.

only problem is it is quite a way out of town , never bothered me as i like the walk.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
245 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about our holiday now

Many thanks to you both for your reassuring replies I feel a bit better now. We weren't bothered about the position as we have got a car and don't mind the walk into the town in the evening.It was the attitude of the staff and the food comments that worried me most.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about our holiday now

i found the staff very friendly. the girl that looks after the counter and bar is from poland speaks excelllent spanish and english. the owner (the man with the slick hair) does look like he has just stepped of the cover of vogue also was friendly. the food breakfast is not full english buffet. it is cereal ham cheese tomatoes breadand so on they cook eggs and bacon and if that is what you want ask if there is none. the restaurant was superb. i think they might have changed chefs since i last ate through. it is near capistrano and a lot of ex pats use it for lunch 7.5 euro the last i had it for 3 courses. they can give you the heads up about the restaurant

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about our holiday now

Yes, the chef did change about eight months ago and is believed to be back at Meson Antonio's, which has re-opened in town.

No really negative reports about the restaurant since, and the menu del dia does offer good value.

Have a look in the hotels section on the forum for mostly re-assuring feedback on Los Arcos ... and have a good holiday!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about our holiday now

I just read that negative review & I honestly don't recognise the Hotel Los Arcos from it.

We had friends staying there & they found it to be very good with friendly, helpful staff. Their room was at the back of the Hotel next to the pool & away from the road so maybe their experience was better than the negative posters. I believe it's a family run hotel & they are trying to make a success of the place by offering good rates & good food. Having eaten there on numerous occassions we can definitly vouch for the excellent food and we are always greeted warmly by the staff.

It appears that the poster didn't like Nerja very much either so I guess he was really just in the wrong place for him.

I would read all the positive reviews for the hotel plus all the raves about Nerja on this forum to get a better idea of the hotel & town.

Some people don't like Nerja but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. For every 1 negative post there are 20 positive ones.

Go with an open heart & mind & don't expect 4 star luxury, just a nice, attactive, clean well run hotel a little way out of town.

have a great holiday.

PS. If you like walking the great thing about Los Arcos is that you can walk up to the little village of Maro & the caves quite easily. Just turn right out of the hotel & continue along the main road, (not unpleasant) & you will reach your destination in about 20 minutes max.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about our holiday now

I had a walk to Maro the other day and am always struck by how nice this hotel looks. Also from the board outside,there seems to be plenty of entertainment going on. I noticed that the Monica Cortes Flamenco Ballet perform there every Thursday evening. These are well worth seeing! I have really missed them down at Villa Flamenca since it has been closed.

I would not worry either! I too have been surprised at reviews of places I have visited. I always try to redress the balance when this happens.

Have a great holiday and don´t forget to visit the Caves,they are fantastic!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
245 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about our holiday now

Thank you so much everyone for your POSITIVE comments, I always research my holidays and accomodation thoroughly before booking and the Los Arcos and Nerja seemed perfect for us. I knew it wasn't 5* but it seemed good value for money for bed & breakfast with parking for our hire car. After reading your replies we all feel better and we can't wait to get there now on Friday :-)

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
75 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about our holiday now

Another thumbs up on Los Arcos from me. I have had family stay there a couple of times and they loved it. I've been to the restaurant and never been disappointed.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about our holiday now

Just to say that some people are never satisfied with their accommodation.I take the odd negative review with a pinch of salt but if there are 3 or more I avoid.Some people expect 5* service for 3* prices.I stayed at Hotel Riu Monica in Nerja.It was fine. But somebody posted that the service was too slick! Honestly,how can you please everyone?

Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations