We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question on tapas!

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
A question on tapas!

I'll be in Nerja this thursday...

I've been to Spain quite a few times, but I've almost never been in any tapas bar.

So the question is... on nerjatoday.com they have reviews of all the tapas bars i Nerja. A beer with tapa included usually costs 1.5€.

When you order your beer, do you say "cerveza con tapa"? or is it just common sense to give you a tapa with your beer? Can i choose my tapa?

Thank you

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
589 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: A question on tapas!

Most places, although not all, offer you a tapa with your drink as standard practice. If they don't, though, just ask for (or point to) a tapa. You'll see the Spanish do just the same.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question on tapas!

If you go into a bar that has a tapas display on the counter, just point to the one you want when your drink is served to you.

Some bars e.g. Chispas, do not have a display, but automatically give you a tapas. In these type of bars you sometimes you have to wait until it is cooked but the staff always seem to know whose turn it is for the food. A second/third drink usually brings a different tapas.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question on tapas!

Also if you are new to the game, be aware that several bars only will serve you a tapa if you are perched at the bar.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
451 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question on tapas!

Yes, it's usual for the tapa to be free if you are perched at the bar or at one of the nearby high tables which count as being at the bar. Sometimes (e.g. Rincon de Sabor) you get a free tapa at the bar but if you want to sit somewhere more comfortable they will make a small charge. It is unusual to get a list of tapas - generally you peer at the dishes behind the perspex screen on the counter and point to what you want. They may take it away to warm it up, or it may be cold. If there are some things you don't want to eat it's handy to know a bit of Spanish because it may not be obvious whether something is meat or fish (say) just by looking at it.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A question on tapas!

Thank you all... I can't wait to fill my stomach with delicious tapas :) Especially in El Pulguilla! That's the one tapas bar I remember!

6. Re: A question on tapas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 06:18