We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nerja town

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
denmark
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Nerja town

I'm in lovely Nerja,like the city,but i`m been rob,she took my money, i was pist..

But i will stil enjoy my holiday,but be carefull with ladies wtih flowers.

Take care all out there..

Regards Anette ;-)

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Nerja town

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Everyone should be aware of the so-called gypsy flower sellers, usually working in pairs.

They often appear to refuse payment for a flowers they press into your hand but it is all a ruse to nick your purse or wallet.

They use the traditional tactic of touching you in one part of the body to distract you and they are VERY GOOD thieves.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nerja town

I too am sorry to hear of your misfortune :( Why on earth the local council / police don't crack down on this is beyond me!!

Perhaps publications like websites/ free newspapers etc could help by making people more aware to certain scams as these girls were certainly around last year, weren't they?

Nerja Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nerja town

Sorry to hear your misfortune aswell. My thoughts are never to drop your guard, Nerja is generally a safe place but it doesnt matter where you go in life there are always people out there with less honerable intentions.

I'm afraid with most scams if it looks to good to be true it usually aint!

A free flower - NO, a free win on a scratch card - No THANKS any others hasta luego mi amigo!

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nerja town

There is also at the moment a "crew" of people around Nerja and Torrox Costa, armed with clipboards asking you to sign a petition. ****WARNING**** Keep well away as they will dip your pocket/bag etc whilst you sign the petition.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nerja town

Also be very wary at the Tuesday market - keep your bags and pockets secure and in sight

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nerja town

Some years ago in the Tuesday market I had my bag slashed right across & never noticed a thing until I got to the end of the market. Nothing was stolen thankfully as the bag contained passports, money etc that I was carrying for my brother for safety!! (or so I foolishly thought)

Since then I never carry anything of value in a bag, most times I never carry a bag at all but keep a little money in my pocket with my hand on it at all times.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nerja town

Sadly it's sometimes neccessary to take out extras such as passport (if you want to pay by credit card at the supermarket) & credit/debit card if you need to draw money out. On these occasions my bag is over my head & shoulder, if that makes sense.

Another rotten scam is in the supermarkets, don't be tempted to be helpful by helping someone get something off a high shelf when they have their arms full.

denmark
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nerja town

Hi All :-)

Thanks we are still in Nerja and will absolut come back some day :-)

We love this place:-)

Nerja Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nerja town

Good for you Anette - to not come back is almost like letting them win!

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nerja town

Yes, plus it's a lovely little town innit? Not called the "jewel of the costa del sol" for nowt ;-)

However, summer = tourists= pickpockets everywhere! :-( These people know that we leave our brains behind when on holiday so are easy targets.