We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mercadona vs Lidl

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, West...
Level Contributor
489 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Mercadona vs Lidl

Which is the best value supermarket in Nerja? Will be spending most on meat (steak, chicken breast) but don't mind if it's frozen.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

i prefer mercadona as there is a wider choice. only went into lidl once and seemed to come out with nothing, not impressed with fruit veg selection.

if driving from airport the big eroski at the ingenio shopping centre has a great selection of fish and meat and resonable prices

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

Lidl chicken breast is a superior quality to Mercadona and cheaper. Both supermarkets have pre-packed meat (not frozen), of equal quality and price. If you want to select a specific cut of meat then Supersol has a good butchers counter.

Coin, Spain
Level Contributor
549 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

Hi,

We always buy the stock in Lidl, because it is cheaper and some of there products are better. But they do not have everything so then we often have to visit Mercadona as well. I do not really like Super Sol, but they have a lot of foreign products..

Best regards,

Jonny

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

Mercdonna have recently introduced a limited fresh (not prepacked) meat section to compliment their prepacked fresh and frozen products.

Worrying though that the fresh fish section has been cut down by around 50%, and a lot of the fish is now offered prepacked.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
143 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

Coincidentally, a survey has been published today, proclaiming Mercadona as the cheapest supermarket in Spain. For those of you that read Spanish this is the link:

20minutos.es/noticia/…

Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

In most of the various surveys they did not include Lidl as the stores are much smaller than the main supermarkets.

For what they sell, Lidl is cheaper than Mercadona.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

imo both sucks big time with both quality and price when it comes to vegetables and fruits. Better get these from local farmers sellin off the streets of Nerja or markets.

Meat is better, but more pricey from local butchers. You pay for what you eat, I prefere less, but better quality, it is a choice.

Lidl have better prices on bevergaes, buy a lot, save a euro or two.

Mercadona is better if you want all in the same place.

MAS can have some good fish from tuesday and on.

Avoid SuperSol.....

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

@MikeatPuntaLara (or anyone else who coud help!),

I am making a return visit to Nerja next week (actually staying in Punta Lara), and was wondering if you could advise which butchers to head to for sourcing quality meat? At home, I am careful to only buy 'good' meat which has been raised to certain welfare standards, and was a little dubious about the supermarket meat in Nerja! I don't want to be condemned to 10 days of BBQd langoustine again, so suggestions are appreciated! :)

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

At the top of Calle Castilla Perez, there is a little alley going through to Calle San Miguel (Cajamar bank). Along there is Roberto, the English butcher. You will be able to talk to him about your exact needs. His meat is very good, if a little pricey by Spanish standards.

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mercadona vs Lidl

My favourite Spanish butcher is on the right hand side (just as you start to go down) of C/ Ruperto Anduez ('old market street',) - square E6 on the Soltalk map.

Try and avoid Saturday mornings though, it is always packed with locals - a good indication in itself.