We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solmar villas

Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
solmar villas

Hi all,

Have seen some very negative reviews re Solmar villas on different sites - has anyone had any recent experiences of this company / their properties in Nerja?

My family want to book a 4 bedroom villa (with private pool) for a week starting 4th June but a bit nervous re booking on the internet / paying full amount upfront based on photos alone!

Would appreciate any help or advice please re reliable villas /rental companies!

Thanks

68 replies to this topic
lancashire
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: solmar villas

Hi Kaz, I have not heard of Solmar villas but I have booked for the last two years with Holiday Nerja and they where very helpful indeed. Ask for kathy thats who I had all my dealings with. The website is www.holidaynerja.co.uk. I hope that helps.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solmar villas

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your suggestion!

K

Nerja Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solmar villas

Why would anyone want full payment when your holiday is in June?? I would expect to pay a deposit possibly anywhere between 20 and 40%. Most agents want the balance paid 8 weeks before arrival or possibly less. Perhaps proceed with caution or not at all.

Paris
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solmar villas

We rented a villa with Solmarvillas in Mallorca. Nobody came to ask us the deposit.We payed all the week as 1000E. we were 8 young people.

The representative of SM there never came except on the last day, but she was available on the phone. Anyway, the pb was not with SM but with the owner. The wife came at the middle of the week, to "clean" the house; she didn't do much but she seems nice.

The man came without introducing himself, to clean the pool. We didn't knew if it was the owner or not!!! (but i think he came several times during the house, to take care of his animals around the villa.)

As he's used to animals, he treated us so:

at 10:00 am on saturday (the exact time as we had to leave the house), the three of them came to pull of out as dogs!!! The owner treated us as Thieves, then as Pigs!!! We didn't broke nor steal anything in the house!

We had to leave in a hurry and it seems to me that for a 1000e week, this is not really fair!!! (as in little hostels sometimes, you have time to leave the room, they won't throw your coffe, and came to insult you!!!)

Leeds, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: solmar villas

hi,we stayed at a solmar villa in majorca last year and am curiuos to discover which one you stayed as your experience sounds familiar especially the reference to "animals",Alex

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: solmar villas

I have no experience of this company, but would *never* pay full payment in advance, it's not required by good companies. A deposit yes, some ask for balance a couple of weeks before arrival but companies I've used accept a balance payment o arrival. It's the only way I'll book a place.

It's best to owe some money on arrival and pay balance once you check it all out IMO

Stoofer

Sheffield
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: solmar villas

Our party stayed in a Solmar villa in cala egos Majorca, we payed £87 extra for the air con, which did not cool the rooms down, the local rep sent out an engineer who did something to the unit and told us the switches in the fuse box were not in the correct position and that we had to change this switch ourselves day and night! thought this may have solved it but no one week of sleepless nights due to the heat,having windows opened made no difference, a fan had to be used in one room. Apart from this there was dirty crockery in the cupboards, old food in the dishwasher, tea stained kitchen sink, the silver kitchen appliances all smeared as though the same dirty cloth had been used to clean them, bare essential equipment. No hairdryer! we have also stayed in another Solmar villa in Pollensa previously and an overlooking neighbour had to tell us the pool was green which we couldnt really see from ground level and no windows upstairs looked onto it, so we had to contact Solmar to get it cleansed by the owner (this also had that bad musty smell). All this is in total contrast to a privately owned fantastic villa in Soller we stayed in which the owners stayed in regulary. I have e mailed Solmar Villas and got no reply. Privately owned villas not managed by companies seem to be the best bet in our opinion. we have also used other villa companies.

8. Re: solmar villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2011, 18:21

Sheffield
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: solmar villas

Yes it was villa Vidal ! We stayed 10th Septmeber for one week, glad it was only one week! The air freshner is still there in the musty smelling downstairs bedroom. I agree with all your comments. Seems like the air con is a con just getting money for something that does not function and as for asking guests to switch fuses on and off daily i cant believe it! Solmar have not responded to my e mails. On first impressions you think what a nice modern villa, that soon dissapears when you find the lack of crockery/equipment and dirty at that. There was no glass plate in the microwave that turned up by delivery a few days into the holiday. Good job there was only 4 of us. We have never stayed in such an under equipped villa. I feel like not contacting Solmar again but really I should because obviously they are aware of the problems there but choose not to do anything about it as they know people who dont see this site will still book it fully next year.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: solmar villas

Hi kaz,

We stayed in a Solmar villa in Nerja. We had no problem with the company but only booked last minute so paid in full at the time of booking.

The main problem with the villa was its location as it was at the top of the road where the market takes place. This meant a long walk both into Nerja and down to Burriana.

The accommodation was good as there were 3 bedrooms upstairs and a large basement where there were 2 more bedrooms and another bathroom. The basement lead out to the pool area. The living area was spacious as well. However they told us not to put paper down the toilet (advice which we ignored) as with 4 adults and 3 children it would have been difficult to say the least and we got a problem with the drains which caused an awful smell in the basement rooms!

Apart from the location and the drains it was great!

Chris x

Reply to: solmar villas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations