We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog poo?

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beverley
Level Contributor
198 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Dog poo?

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is true that there is a lot of dog poo on the pavements in Nerja?

Have been looking at reviews etc and it has been mentioned a few times.

Thank you

Highway 61
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog poo?

Yes lots especially in the old town area

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog poo?

We found it to be the worst place for dog poo than anywhere we have visited,

we have just returned from Estepona and there is a world of difference between the two,the Torrecilla area of Nerja was horrendous for dog poo and graffiti,believe it or not we found the brits were some of the worst culprits.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog poo?

IYes I noticed that when I was there.

Scunthorpe
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog poo?

[q]believe it or not we found the brits were some of the worst culprits.[/q]

Did the dogs bark with a British accent?

Northampton/Frigilia...
Level Contributor
248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog poo?

You soon learn a different walking technique than in the UK.

Eyes down and scan 20 metres.

Walk 20 metres.

Eyes down and scan 20 metres.

You get used to it.

The Spanish have a quaint attitude to dogs. They reckon they bark and they sh*t and you can't do anything about. That's just what dogs do!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog poo?

Doesn't Nerja have poop-police? We do in Torrie and a liberal use of the €50 spot fines has almost eliminated the problem here. You often see even very old ladies scooping up after their dogs.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog poo?

I use the same walking technique wherever I am!!!

I brought five children up in my home town of Blackpool. I reckoned I said "mind the dog poo" to them more times than I ever said anything else!!

Inconsiderate dog owners are not exclusive to Nerja.

there is an article in this Months Sol Talk which states that several pet owners have been sanctioned for fouling. They were caught on Calle Granada,Plazas España and la Hermita.

Nerja´s Environmental health has pledged to act on the many complaints made to the Town Hall.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog poo?

The owners speak english,especially the ones i confronted who were letting their dogs poo and leave it.Methinks you have something to hide,

could you be one of those i confronted.

New England
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog poo?

In the US one rarely sees dog poo on the streets. The threat of a fine and the contempt of others usually does the trick. Also in some places towns provide dispensers with plastic bags to scoop it up. It's not pleasant but one gets used to it. When I lived in Europe I would never even have considered cleaning up poo after my dog, but in the US it's a different mindset. While I lean toward European habits on most issues, this is one subject on which I would side with my adopted country.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dog poo?

I'm sorry, but i think anyone who doesn't clean up after their dogs should be fined heavily but more importantly educated on the dangers.

I hope to god that no parent has to go through one of their children ever contracting Toxicariasis - as not only can it be very uncomfortable for the child but can also lead to blindness and other major illnesses.

Think about the innocent little ones walking along the pavement and then accidentally tripping and falling into it.

Don't be so selfish just because it's an inconvenience to clear up after your dog. It's outrageous and i'm a very easy going person but when i see it happen the guilty party receives the full impact of my fury as loud and publicly as possible!!

Morally reprehensible - sorry, but that's my feeling ;-)

CB