We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Nerja

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Nerja

We are coming to Nerja next Sunday for a week - would it be best to stay in a hotel ( looked at Villa Flamenca) or self catering we are a sociable couple - we usually like the freedom of self catering but are worried we might be a bit isolated in a new area we don't know and also it is hubbys birthday while we are there so don't want that to be a let down.

On a bit of a budget and will be using public transport from the airport so we need somewhere easy to find.

Any replies much appreciated.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Nerja

Hi Joanne, why not just book B & B at the hotel as there is a wonderful variety of eateries in Nerja to suit all pockets.

Incidentally, as you are using the bus to get from Malaga, ask the driver if he is going to the Caves, if so don't get off at the Nerja stop ask him to stop at the Ambulatorio, this is really the next stop, so if you do stay at the V/F you only have a very short walk from the bus. Basically, turn first left and you are on the street where the hotel is situated, and it is an easy five minute walk. We did it a couple of weeks ago with no problem.

Whatever you decide, enjoy.

Edited: 27 March 2011, 11:59
manchester
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Nerja

And its downhill :-)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Nerja

The freedom of self cateing is ideal in Nerja, it's one of the best towns you'll find for eating out at any budget. So Hotel B & B only or rent a front line/in town apartment.

Huge choice depending on budget

Stoofer

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Nerja

Hi Joanne, I've just booked the Nerja Princess for my next trip. I've been visiting Nerja for about 27 years but never stayed there. It's quite central and I'm flagging it up as we got a much better deal than the rack rate shown on their website - you may find it useful to contact some of the hotels directly and see if they have any offers. Many of the hostals are reasonably priced too. Hostal Marisal on the Balcon de Europa is about as central as you can get and has good reviews. Just a couple of ideas. I'm sure you will find something to suit but if you want to ask any questions about specific hotels, hostals, do come back, someone on here is bound to be able to help.

Have a great first trip to Nerja!

Swansea
Level Contributor
134 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Nerja

Hi Joanne, this will be my 18th visit to Nerja this year, we always booked apartments but in latter years as there has just been the two of us we've stayed in Hostal Marissal as it works out very reasonable, just 50E per night. We've been lucky to have lovely views over the square and the sea, and there is air con there too. They also supply beach towels at no cost which we find is a plus now that the airlines are so strict with the weight on suitcases. Fabulous places for breakfast close by also. Hope you have a fab time, we're back there in June and cannot wait!

Leicester
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Nerja

Hi to everyone who offered advice- we absolutely loved the ambiance of Nerja, a true taste of authentic spain. Loads of places to eat and some lovely little bars with free tapas.

We used public transport to get from the airport - it cost just under 12 euros each way for two of us. The Villa Flamenca was easy to find and perfect for us - the room was not huge, bathroom was a little tight and did not have an extractor fan but for what we paid was more than adequate. The most important aspect was the food and service which were suberb. Great selection at every meal. My husband celebrated his birthday while we were there and the management sent us a complimentary bottle of champagne.

If there was a downside it was the steep hill from Villa Flamenca to the beach but I was prepared as I had seen the reviews on trip advisor.

We will definately be back!

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Nerja

Hi Joanne, so glad you enjoyed Nerja and the Villa Flamenca. The staff there are wonderful, all having been there for years and they go out of their way to help you have a happy holiday. Yes cardiac hill is a pain!

I wonder, are you having withdrawl symptoms,and will you be back?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Nerja

Glads it was a success.

Does V.F. do B & B only?

I wonder what the difference in price is between B & B and half-board?

Stoofer

Leicester
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Nerja

Villa Flamenca do B&B and Half Board and the difference was only £56 so I opted for half board as it worked out at £4 each for the evening meal. We like good food and certainly weren't disappointed, breakfast (8-10am)consisted of fruit, yogurts, cereals, vast selection of breads, cold meats, cheese, full cooked english (fried or scrambled eggs, bacon,sausages,tomatoes, beans)

Dinner (6.30- 9.30pm)was a choice of two soups, huge choice of salads, fish, chicken, pork, lamb some in a sauce and always at least two traditional spanish dishes (loved the battered artichokes) potatoes and chips, many different vegetables, desserts to die for! all being constantly toppped up by the chef - yes inevitably there were some moaners but I would love to see what they eat at home!!

I am having withdrawal symptoms in fact my husband wanted to stay another week but unfortunately I had to get back to work.

Already checking out the flights for our next visit!!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Nerja

Thanks, Joanne

Sounds good value, I only asked as I always recommend folk to go B & B and eat in town rather than hotel as so much great local food and ambience. Clearly that comes at a price as outside of tapas bars you can't eat dinner for £4.

Stoofer