We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

We were thinking of taking bacon and sausages as we are self catering. is this legal or could we get into trouble at customs.

Many thanks

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

No problem. We often take bacon, cheese etc in hand luggage & have never been questioned. Sometimes it surprises me as a block of cheese could look like something else but I suppose they must know the difference. Also we bring back serano ham & fuet, again no problem.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

You can travel with a reasonable amount of any food on sale in any EU country. If it is considered to be for commercial purposes then it may be subject to checks (i.e. the food must be for your own use).

England
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

Agree that there is no problem as we always take bacon/cheese and also bring serrano ham/chorizo back.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

The local shops are cheaper, wide range of local produce to try, suggest go shopping on arrival for self catering. If you 'need' english sausage and bacon there are several places doing english breakfasts at low cost around Nerja.

Stoofer

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

And a few of the big supermarkets sell "british" bacon sausages and beans too. Carrefour sell them for instance. Or see if there is an Iceland or Kwiksave near where you are staying. But to answer no its not illegal.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

why would you want to do that ?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

Support the community that is providing your holiday resort and buy the produce here.

Nerja used to have an Iceland shop but it closed down a few years ago due to lack of customers

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

That was probably the old company who used the name, where the prices were at least 3 times the original price (had one in Benidorm too) but the company that now has rights to the name keep the prices just a tad over the original. They have reopened the closed shop in Benidorm and its roaring, the one in Fuengirola gets bigger everytime I go there. It may not be everyones cup of tea, but plenty of people do want the odd bit of UK produce. I have lots of Spanish friends who love the UK bread and strong cheddar (I know ! I know! lol)

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

I came back last wednesday with a big bag of gooseberries in my hand luggage!!! I absolutely love them and have never seen them here in Spain!

The only problem I once had was with my small round tins of M&S ham! They were detected on the scanner as "canisters" and I was told that the machines were very sensitive to anything containing jelly !.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,004 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anybody carry bacon, sauges from the UK? Is it legal

Marie1234uk: Please send tips to my partner on how you have space and weight to take food on holiday. We use every gram in allowances with clothes/shoes etc.

Do Take Malagogo/Pavoreal point though that with the advent of AI holidays vital especially in Spain (Greece, Portugal) as much money as possible goes into the local economy. Certainly on our recent visit prices seemed lower then in March, dont do breakfasr but noticed in english bars full breakfast down to 4 euro's from a high of 5+ last year.

As my other half has cooked for most of the year, good for us to eat out for every meal and get to know the locals, hopefully the good bars will still be open when we come again if we give them plenty of custom.