We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
just back

Hi all.

We have just returned from our holiday to Nerja and it was fabulous as usual. Did our annual day to frigliana, went to Malaga for the first time and visited the donkey sanctuary and Tuesday market. Lazed on el salon or torrecillo beach or by the pool. Walked alot, ate a lot and drank more than I should.

We decided to try a few new ( to us) eating places this year.

Breakfast

Well we are creatures of habit it seems and still went most mornings to Jamaica as it cannot be beaten on service or price. We did try Torre del Guarda one morning but a complete mix up on the order and overcharging of 5 euros put us off..however the owner was very apologetic and reimbursed us no problem. It was totally accidental and a staffing error

Also went to cafe mandarina next to Bella Roma behind the Balcon and it was a very good breakfast. Lovely staff too!

Snacks/Tapas.

Well we did some random tapas trails of our own based on reviews here...haphazard and fun all the same...places we tried..Vinoleto, Vicentes (daily due to proximity of our apartment!!) Sevaillonos 2, La Fabrica, Don Juan, Cafe Mandarina, El Puguilla and a few others which I cannot recall at present?

Evening meals...although i dont know how we managed to eat so much we went to Maria Bonita and were very impressed by the quality and quantity of food so the previous recommendations here were spot on. Also tried the Poseidon (Greek) good food and service and Numero Seis, again good food and service but quite a wait so don't be in a hurry. (the free bottle of wine we got on producing a voucher from soltalk helped)

Ate in our usual favourites as always..Sevallianos,(excellent) Bamboo (OK) Paco Mari (not as good as before but OK) Their new Brasserie looked nice but we didnt get to try it, Pinocchios (good), Smugglers Inn ( good) and the Monday night quiz is a laugh.

Sad to see some places have closed down since last year but on the positive a few new places have opened.

Didn't feel as though there were the same numbers of visitors as before but many places were still busy enough.

Very little happening on the Balcon ( still good people watching place though or in Los Congrejos( very dead except for the bars etc) at night probably due to the financial climate.

Papaguyo Bar on Calahonda beach has regular entertainment which is well worth a visit. We watched a fab flamenco show one evening..need to go early to get a good view though.

Packed a lot of walking and shopping in so I'm exhausted now..need another holiday to recover!

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: just back

Brilliant review Allie-red ;-) Sounds like you had your usual great time!!

I'm sure this will help others.

Nerja Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back

Great post Allie-red, thank you for spending the time to do this. I am glad you had a great time.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just back

I like the place so much I'm off in six weeks to rent an apartment for a year there. Not that expensive.

It is said that many are not going abroad from the UK (and elsewhere) this year because of the financial situation so less people.

I prefer the winter months anyway. Not many people about but some very nice days with people sunbathing even in December and January which is made better by knowing how bad the weather is back home.

Bolton
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: just back

We've not been for a couple of years but plan to return next year. The OP mentions lots of closures, is this bars & restaurants? Which ones in particular? i have heard that Chispas has been refurbished, how has this gone down? Seems a mistake to me to refurb these old tapas bars too much, the locals still need to have that sense of tradition and not that they're pandering to the tourists!

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back

A mixture of restaurants, shops and bars I was meaning..perhaps if you want to know if something in particular is still there someone will know. We all have our old favourites..lol.

Still has it's unique feel to Nerja and plenty of lovely tapas bars restaurants and shops..so no fear there. .I was not meaning a mass shut down...some places are closed..some have changed hands and some are different altogether and a few places are vacant but there is still more choice than anyone needs in a holiday so no worries...Id go back tomorrow and cant wait until next year!

Edited: 04 August 2011, 19:33
UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back

We're also just back and the only restaurant out of our regulars that I noticed had closed down was California, however it has been bought by the owners of Pinnochio and is due to reopen soon I believe. The new Brasseria is very good and reasonably priced, we ate there twice in 2 weeks. It was very popular, needed to get there by 7.45 to get an outside table.

Michelle

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just back

California appeared to open last weekend I noticed. The good thing is that businesses appear to be opening up where others closed. Il bambino one of our favs closed down and has now reopened as a tapas bar. The souvenir shop on the corner near Monica also has closed. The acorn bar has closed too. A few places have changed hands but as I said in original post... Still plenty of choices to be had!

UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just back

We've been home a couple of weeks so they obviously got it re-opened quickly. Has it opened under a different name? What kind of food is it?

Michelle

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just back

I looked hard for a name Michelle and didn't see one.. So I looked at the menu and saw something referring to California.. Perhaps they are keeping the name. Looks very different layout inside. Only had a quick look on way past so not sure.. If they'd opened earlier in the week we'd have tried it!

UK
Level Contributor
251 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just back

Thanks - look forward to trying it next year!