We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

We have just relocated to Nerja, we used a local expat who picked us up from Malaga Airport in his 4x4 and dropped us right at the door all literally for a fraction of the cost, we were quoted €70!!!! for a local Taxi firm, we actually paid only €30 and were offered a quick tour round so we could get our bearings

Anyone interested let me know I will forward on his details

Mentioned in this post
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

sounds very cheap

please be wary of private taxi,s that have no insurance for private hire.

you will not be covered in an accident. not saying this is the case here , just check it out before hand.

Nerja Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

I think the Guardia Civil would be very interested in his details LOL

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

Hi, this sounds interesting. Is he with taxi firm? Would be interested in his number

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

If this is an unregistered taxi driver - and €30 sounds far too cheap for a taxi - he is likely to get prosecuted if caught - a number plate watch is kept at the Airport for cars regularly parking there.

Only legally registered cabs can do paid transfers and people using non-registered drivers are not insured in the event of an accident. Airport taxi d5rivers pay high premiums for the privilege of working from there and this, plus theior high insurance costs etc., is why Airport taxi fares are so steep.

If the driver the OP refers to is unregistered I doubt he would be happy to know his details are being given out via a forum - especially if someone gets the info then informs the Guardia!

Edited: 10 August 2011, 14:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

Assuming this chap is unlicensed, I'm sure the local and licensed taxi drivers would be interested in him too! OP should be ware.

I know that police do note details, registrations of cars regularly seen picking up and dropping off at the airport.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

There's always the thought that the OP is the driver?

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

There have been instances of drivers carrying fare paying passengers being stopped and detained at the airport, along with their fares. In one case this resulted in a family missing their flight and they had to pay for an overnight stay in Málaga and for four seats back to the UK on the following day - a total cost of getting on for €1,000 - far from a cheap option.

The taxi drivers association even employed four retired policemen to address the situation at the airport, which they did very effectively. I don't know if they are still active, but it shows how seriously illegal airport runs are taken.

The most worrying aspect is the lack of insurance cover in these cases. What on earth would happen if there was an accident involving serious injury or even death is anybody's guess - the insurance companies will certainly not pay out if they get the slightest whiff of hire and reward going on, and they will investigate thoroughly if they suspect there was.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

Jon, there are automatic number-plate reading systems in place - a neighbour of mine was stopped after a third visit within a week (he had taken some visiting friends the first two times) and asked to name his passengers after they had got out of the car, they had to produce their passports. One was his wife and the other a friend of hers, flying to Valencia, so no probs there...except for the Security Officer as the wife is a rather fiery-tempered Galician.

After the inevitable row she established that all vehicle movements are monitored by the automatic reading system - that was why they had stopped him.

God help the poor Security Officer though, bet he had to go home on sick leave :-)

Edited: 11 August 2011, 14:59
Mentioned in this post
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

The OP post and subsiquent replies have left me a bit worried now.The lady i am renting from has arranged for a friend of hers to pick us up at the airport for a fee of 50e.Going by the replies above it seems this may be illigal,is it ?or could it be considered part of the house rental agreement.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Hassle Free Travel to and from Airport

I think you would be right to be wary of this. How do you know that the friend of the owner is fully licenced and insured? Where are you staying as it may be easier just to get a taxi from outside the airport or arrange a legitimate transfer.