We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for Friends and Family

toronto
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts for Friends and Family

First visit to the area and I want to purchase some nice local product as gifts for home. Any suggestions - ie. jewellry, wood or ceramic pieces, textiles, food items etc.? Anything that is associated with the area would make them special for our friends and family. Thanks.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,534 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for Friends and Family

There are lotsof places that sell ceramics but you'd need to make sure they are well packed when you go home and they can be quite weighty. In Spain they do a nougat type sweet called Turron. There are lots of different varieties and all very nice. You could also take back some saffron or smoked paprika which are used in Spanish cooking. With food though you would need to check if you can take them back into Canada as I'm sure there are some restrictions.

Another thing to look for is leather goods, and fans (although it has to be said most fans I've bought in Spain in the last few years have been made in China which isn't surprising as most things come from there lately.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for Friends and Family

canchick:

Saffron is a good gift and it weighs very little . Best prices are at public markets.

Turron is available at the El Corte Ingles Supermarket all year long. In other stores, it is available only during Christmas.

Toledo makes damascened costume jewelry, such as earrings, pendants,and pins. These are small and light. El Corte Ingles has this and other tourist stores also.

Fans are inexpensive and also light in weight.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts for Friends and Family

Thanks..I like the idea of the damascened jewelry - is it gold? very expensive? We have been bringing back silver and turquoise jewellry from Mexico and it has been a hit, so jewellry would be appropriate1

4. Re: Gifts for Friends and Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations