We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Topic
WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

Thought i'd share the following info/thread on here as it could be useful and pertinent to anyone looking into this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187525-i191-k50…

CB

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

Good post CB! It seems its not just gay weddings that aren't legal if done by one of these "celebrants". I wonder how many people don't read the small print? Bit like car hire - best advice "buyer beware and read T&Cs!"

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

Not only Gay services, its Straight weddings too. None of them are legal unless you are a resident(legal) or Spanish!

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

I'm a little confused by this. Are all those Irish weddings we see in Nerja not strictly legal?

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

The weddings in El Salvador church are as they will only marry couples who are catholics.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

They are. There are major changed happening, catholics can marry as long as they have proof of faith and a letter from their priest. etc. Its still long drawn out, but is now possible. Sorry for the confusion.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

After quite some extensive investigation into this, it does appear that things are becoming easier now to get hitched over here.

Also, how easy it is can and often depends on which region you live in.

So the only way to find out for sure is to visit your local office and they'll tell you everything you need to know and the criteria required.

CB

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

I can see the TV Guide now : BBC3 - 9pm - My Big Fat Irish Wedding LOL

One of my best friends is Irish and she wants to get married over here, only because i won't fly there lol - i'll have to give her some info.

CB

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

Oh no CB, that's pushing it a bit now, don't be giving those TV people any ideas LOL

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

LOL nfm, i doubt that would ever happen, mind you, you never know :) There's currently a program on about Benidorm - hilarious, but does show a good insight into the work the Hospital staff do and what they have to put up with LOL.

I think it would be quite a good watch, there are many people that like to get married abroad and Spain seems to be a very popular choice - i guess more than anything the weather is usually good and it's a cheaper option that say... the Seychelles !!

CB

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WARNING!! Gay Weddings In Nerja

It's simple - treat the Spanish ceremony as just that - a ceremony - and go through the legal process at home.