We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nerja advice

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Nerja advice

Hi all,

We are going to the Monica in Nerja on Tuesday., for a week. I would welcome any pointers on the following please:

Do the hotel rooms have tea/coffee facilities and irons/hairdryers?

Any tips on the best times to take the evening meals?

We intend visiting both the Alhambra and Gibraltar whilst there, and wish to hire a car. Is it best to arrange the hire before going, or are we likely to pick up a better deal locally on arrival?

Also, I would like suggestions about routes to these places other than the obvious main roads indicated by maps.

Any ideas on 'highlights' on to do on Gibraltar on a day trip.

I know I've asked a lot, but am confident the knowledge is out there. Thanking you in advance.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nerja advice

hi there have never stayed at monica so can not advise you there

i would book car before i go and collect at airport always get a better deal pre booked i think i use

http://www.malagacar.com/ always great service look at there facebook page for discount codes.

alhambra get tickets before you go and have a look round granada its a lovely city.

gibralter is not my cup of tea, a lot of people park outside and walk in, long lines at border control also take sterling to buy anything the last time i was there it worked out cheaper.

we took a taxi up the rock to see the apes negotiated first and very nice chap gave us good info

Edited: 25 March 2012, 13:12
Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nerja advice

The only day next week with tickets still available for the Alhambra is Thursday so, to guarantee getting them, you need to book today www.alhambra-tickets.es

It is very unusual for Spanish hotels to have Tea + Coffee making facilities in their rooms but you could email the hotel to find out for sure.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nerja advice

It is not normal for hotel rooms in Spain to have tea/coffee facilities or irons so it is unlikely. Don'y know about hair dryers.

Are you having evening meal in the hotel? Meal time is usually 7pm - 9pm, so really it is up to your own preference.

For only a 1 week visit, it will be better to pick up the car at the airport, the cost of a weeks hire can be cheaper than taxis to and from the airport. Good local firms are Lessagro or Hellehollis

http://www.lessaggro.com/

http://www.hellehollis.com/

If you are going to Granada to see the Alhambra Palace, you must pre-book your tickets, see the online instructions..

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187441-c77529/Granad…

Driving to Gibraltar will take about 2.5hours each way, park your car on the Spanish side at La Linea and walk across the border. From Malaga you have a choice of staying on the coast road A7 or taking the toll road for part of the way AP7,

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nerja advice

Thanks to each of you for your very prompt responses. Campolady, thanks for the tip-off about the Alhambra- I have now booked for Thursday.

Re the car hire, perhaps I wasn't clear about where I wanted to collect a car - we have transfers included in our package, so it seems a waste to collect at the airport and pay twice for the return journey. I was hoping to find something in Nerja.

I also note the comments from jeromeserena and pavoreal about Gibraltar. Is it unusual to drive across the border, and is this because of the inconvenience of queuing or are there insurance issues with hire cars, or something else?

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nerja advice

use the 2 sites pavo gave in his post both good local companies.

sometimes the companies at the airport are a lot cheaper than in nerja compare prices and see how they stack up

you can drive into gibralter i have done it on the times i visited just it can get very busy and take a long time to get through passport control, it is often quicker on foot. see how long the line is on the day you visit

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nerja advice

just did a quick search from 3rd april till 10th

similar prices between companies

malagacar

145 euro

rentalcars. com 139sterling

if renting in nerja maybe you wont need car for the whole week try a shorter rental

bus service is very good and a visit to the nearby towns of frigiliana is a must

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nerja advice

Thanks for going above and beyond jerome. You are right in that I don't want it for a week; just 3-4 days' driving will be enough for me. I will carry on Googling, but if anyone can steer me clear of the poor hire companies that would be good.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nerja advice

i never rent from firms in nerja always from airport

if you go with either the 2 companies that pavo suggested you will be ok.

lots of regulars on here use them

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Nerja advice

Like most we rent a car on arrival, we usually fly into Gibraltar and pick up a car at La Linea as we holiday in Cadiz. We have holidayed in Nerja once and did the shopping trip to Gib from there, I would agree the journey time is about two and a half hours, we always use the toll road, it is easy enough. I would go along with what everyone else has said about leaving the car on the Spanish side and walking across, it is much easier - just make sure you have comfy shoes on. With regard to picking up your car make sure you have both the paper-part and the card-part of your driving licence with you as you will be asked for both and also a credit card to pay with, we made the mistake of carrying a debit card and cash only once and ended up bussing it into el estacion de autobuses in Malaga and from there on to Almunecar which is east of Nerja - we will never repeat this mistake. Always carry your licence and passport when driving in Spain it is a requirement. And two other points while I remember - do not drive in flip flops as they are illegal and make sure you put on your lights when going through the tunnels.

On one shopping trip to Gib we had to stand at the airstrip barrier for RAF jets coming in to land and my boys were quite thrilled at the spectacle. Enjoy your holiday.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
874 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nerja advice

Hi bijgouder, the following firm is very well recommended and also very competitively priced

Ace car rental. www.acecarrental.biz is the website. Price quoted is price you pay. Pick-up and drop-off anywhere from malaga airport to Nerja included in the price. 669899065 phone number. :D