We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Paella in Nerja

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Paella in Nerja

I'm sure this post will spark a debate...

We will be visiting Nerja for a long weekend 3-8 May to make some preparations for our wedding in September.

We're keen to try as many places as possible whilst we are there so we make some recommendations for our guests.

We'd love to hear your recommendations?

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
975 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

I am sure you will visit Ayo's as its mentioned in all the guides, it does have a buzz about it and the cooking of its paella outside on giant pans is special if you've never seen it, but don't for the quality of its paella, You'll get a plate of flavoured rice with a few prawns and some pieces of chicken and you can go for second helpings but thats about it - so not the best paella in Nerja by any means in terms of ingrediants but I know there are people on this forum who may think otherwise.

Frigiliana, Spain
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

Ayos was tasty and and had flavour i guess from the way its cooked in the big pans but it was stone cold when we went. dont know if thats the norm due to the way its cooked. what other places would ppl recommend

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

I'm not a huge Ayo fan, I think the other places on Burriana are better quality. Our favourite used to be El Breine on Playazo beach, wonderful paella! We haven't been since it was taken over by Pepe Mesa but have heard that it's not as good.

I noticed that a few places in Almirante Ferrandiz (commonly known as Post Office St - as that is where the post office is ;) ) are now offering paella for 6-6.50e, haven't tried any of them but they did look good. The paella tapa at La Taberna is very good so I think I'd try that one over the others. The paella at Vicente (C/Malaga) is very good - a bit more pricey, made to order, but well worth it.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

Ah, paella, paella, paella....

There are effectively three 'ranges' of paella:

Ready-made:

Paellador etc., these can usually be spotted if a restaurant has paella-for-one on the menu amongst a vast range of other dishes, available at any time of day. If you see a Paellador sign outside...don't go in! I was surprised to see quite a few of these near Torrecilla beach. Almost always disgusting, Waitrose and Marks do much better ready-made ones, avoid at all costs.

Communal:

Paella made on the premises daily because the restaurant/merendero concerned is popular and many of the customers will have some paella with whatever else they're eating for lunch. These can vary tremendously, as has already been said Ayo's tends to have more theatre and less contents. The paella of this type I had in Los Trillizos last September was great. Obviously paella doesn't keep for very long, so if you're after this type always go for it at the lunchtime peak, and in somewhere that has plenty of people in it!

Restaurante:

The full-on paella experience, where it is prepared for you. It will always be for a minimum of two people (usually stated on the menu) for around €20, and you often get a choice of ingredients. The quality of these tends to reflect the quality of the restaurant as a whole. You even get saffron in these!

Do note that paella is normally a dish to be shared alongside other raciones etc., rather than a dish in itself, unless you are going for either the full-on experience or a quick caña y paella as a snack. Paella is usually for lunchtimes, not dinner.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

Until recently I would have said try La Barca very close to Ayos at Burriana Beach - but sadly, it was of poor quality when we visited last month.

We have enjoyed good ´made to order´ Paella at Joannys at Plaza Olvido (off Calle Los Huertos) - 24 hours notice required.

If you just fancy a Paella Tapa go to the ´Round Bar´ on Calle Gloria (left hand fork at the top of Calle Cristo/Post Office Street) on a Sunday - excellent.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 14:04
Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

The Paellador prepacked paella are rubbish. We saw them advertised everywhere on the Costa Brava (they don't have the typical Andalucian beach style paella) & I tried one once - never again! Luckily they are not very popular in the south, I think I've only seen one sign advertising them in Nerja. Thank goodness!

Joanny's is a good place so I can imagine that their paella would be too. I can't remember if Rincon del Sabor have paella on their menu, if they do then that should be good too.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
975 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

The couple next to us at Maria Bonita had a superb looking paella for 2 when we were there last month with lots of seafood

Frigiliana, Spain
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

Yeah we had it at maria bonitas once. it was very good. loads of seafood in it

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

Maria Bonita? Considering how good this place is we will definitely try it now for paella. Thanks!

manchester
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Paella in Nerja

Hi Campolady

Joannys is another seldom mentioned place on here.. Never realised they did Paella to order. A nice peaceful area to sit and chill too. Only eaten once and had the special Kebab. It ws excellent.. Good value food and drinks.

Anyone remember the Iguana ?? :-)

Una