We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

Dublin
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

Hi - we're spending a week on holiday in Nerja but I have some business appointments in Gibraltar, Marbella and Malaga.

How long does it take to drive from Nerja to Gibraltar and can I easily cover all three of the above locations in one day?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

Probably about two and a half hours from Nerja to Gib.

When arranging your appointments do be aware that coming back across the border can be time-consuming if the Border Police are in a bad mood, and try and avoid crossing back between 3 and 6 when all the day-trippers are heading back across with their booty.

You won't get any thanks for an appointment in Marbella or Málaga between 1 and 4 either, so plan it carefully.

Dublin
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

thanks for this...

I wonder is there anywhere ti park in La Linea and walk across to GIB??

I thought the journey would take longer. Sounds life I could start early In GIb and work my way back? Condense the work to half a day!

That would entail arriving GIb for an hour long appointment and stopping in Marbella and Malaga for one appointment in each - both of similar duration.

Done and dusted by lunchtime! sounds do-able but maybe a bit ambitous?

Dublin
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

I've seen the throngs of cars and pedestrians queuing to cross into GIB btw - it kinda has to be seen to be believed!

I wouldn't have thought of the Siesta tho - if that's what you'd call it!

Thanks again!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

You can park at La Linea and walk across.

Not sure that I'd want to do the three appointments in half a day, don't forget there could be hold ups at the border or traffic problems on the way there and back.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

Yes you can park in La Linea. There is a good long stretch of urban dual carriageway which runs along the seafront where there are big sections of lay-by parking which is metred. Remember to have euro coins in your pocket. Failing that there is a car park on rough stone/sand again on the right hand side as you approach the roundabouts which start to divide up the Spanish/Gibraltar bound traffic. Remember to wear comfortable shoes because from this point to crossing the border it is probably about the best part of a mile, then you can either walk into Gibraltar or take a bus/taxi from the border into town.

We holiday in south west Spain every year and most years we make a shopping trip to Gib, except for once we have always left the car in La Linea as parking can be difficult once in Gib plus you will invariably get snarled up in customs traffic. The traffic heading towards Gib tends to be very busy between 9-10 am as we found out one year when we were running for a 9.45 am check-in at the airport.

Dublin
Level Contributor
136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

Yes - I've walked in and out of GIB before - it's frustrating when there's an aircraft landing or taking off - I believe they are building a tunnel under the runway - is that correct?

I'd also forgotten how cheap cigarettes and booze are in GIB - thanks for reminding me!

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

Sorry, I have not heard anything about a tunnel but I know that a few months ago when my brother came through Gib the new terminal was only handling arrivals. The below link was published in the Olive Press (English speaking Andalucian newspaper) yesterday and that would appear to confirm that it is still only arrival traffic. Also great concerns about the running costs so if the tunnel isn't there by now who knows if it will happen. We fly into Gib on 3rd July so I will see how things look then.

theolivepress.es/spain-news/…

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

Yes, they are constructing a tunnel. No, they do not know when it will be finished.

For that it is worth, I do not think you have a cat in hell´s chance of doing all that in a half-day unless you hire a helicopter and use helipads.

They do not call it "siesta". They call it lunchtime. And a very civilised approach to lunch it is too.

Heed what NoSoyGuiri said in #1 about crossing the border by car. It bears out my experience too. Very occasionally I have to drive into Gibraltar. The last time it took me an hour-and-a-half from joining the back of the queue of cars to getting across the runway into the centre of Gibraltar.

According to Gibraltarians, the only time that you can get across easily in a car is before 10:00 in the morning. Even so, on the day I last crossed (at 11:30 - 13:00) earlier that morning, the customs officers had been carrying out extensive checks on cars and that slowed things down considerably. In other words, the time it takes is completely unpredictable.

When flights arrive or depart, the road is closed to both vehicular traffic and pedestrians and you just have to wait until the barriers go up again. Sometimes the flights are clumped together so the wait can be quite long. The typical approach of Gibraltarian business people when they are expecting a visitor from Spain is not to set a fixed time. Instead they say "Phone me after you cross the runway."

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

Also, although the cigs etc are cheaper in Gib don't forget that the amount you can bring back into Spain is less than if you were going from Spain to the UK. I found this link :

gibraltarinfo.gi/gibraltar-customs-allowance…

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Nerja to Gbraltar

...and DON'T be tempted to smuggle! If (when) they catch you they stamp your passport and register you as a smuggler, thereby guaranteeing a lifetime of customs delays wherever you go.

Get hold of some sterling before shopping on Gib. too - the exchange rates can by shocking if you shop with euros. The Barclays ATMs on Main Street offer a BofE sterling notes option, so you don't ned to get stuck with Gibby pounds (if using plastic it's probably still better to ask to pay in sterling depending on your bank's charges).