We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aircon is it needed? in August

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Aircon is it needed? in August

HI i am going to Nerja in Capistrano Playa in August noticed that most apartments do not have aircon, is it because it quite cool at night?with fans on or would it be best to prearrange and book a free standing aircon? If so where from.?

Many Thanks

Michael

Nerja Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

Hi Michael, difficult to say really as different people have tolerance levels to the heat and wherever possible try to avoid air con. It will certainly be hot but perhaps you could wait and see how your fair and hire one locally if you need one.

lancashire
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

We stayed in Capistrano Playa year before last and loved it but it was hot and we hired a portable unit. I kept a note just in case we needed one another time and we hired it from holiday nerja on this link

www.holidaynerja.co.uk/Nerja_air_con_hire.htm

As Nerjaace says you could wait until you get there and see. When we hired ours the company said they held over 80 units in stock so you should be ok.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

Michael - If you are renting a private apartment and intend to hire an air con unit it would be diplomatic to clear it with the owners first as these units use a lot of electricity. Its not fair for the owner to be lumbered with an unexpectedly high electricity bill at the end of your stay.

I personally wouldn´t touch Air con as I have nursed far too many people who have developed chest infections from them - an upright or ceiling fan is fine for us even in the height of Summer.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

That will very much depend on the apartment's orientation, but open windows can suffice depending on your tolerance to heat (a good anti-mosquito device highly recommended).

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

Thank you everybody great advice, might see how hot it is when we get there..

thanks for link,will keep hold of that.

Many thanks

Michael

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

Hi

Just another thing what's the best taxi transfer company to use from Malaga airport to Nerja? we also would be using a taxi for weekly food shop ect.. and a return journey.

Thanks again for all your adivce

Michael

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

michael always best to start a new thread if you have a question as they can get missed have a look here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g315917-i5571-k5…

book before you travel as taxis at airport will be about 90e

taxis in nerja are regulated so should all be the same look here for an idea of prices

http://www.nerjatoday.com/nerja/taxis/

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,952 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

Whilst campolady is quite right that air con can cause chest infections -according to a recent study by Malaga University up to 50% of summer chest 'colds' are caused by aircon- it is usually because they are set too low. The air con in our apartment is set by the guest and we tell them firmly both that the temperature setting should be about 24, maybe a bit cooler at night, and the study by the University, we frequently find it set at 17.

I couldn't sleep without aircon at night. daytime I could just about manage without it. The operative word is 'manage'. For me air con in a necessity in our summer. The temperatures can get up to 40 (rarely, but you don't want to be there if they do) and heat caused illnesses, especially for older and chest condition people can be far more serious than a sniffle caused by the air con.

I would also question why no air con in an apartment. A quick look around can see that it is very common and I would suspect that the apartment had received little in the way of investment and would need lots of reassurance about standards generally before I booked it. there are still a lot of dodgy landlords around.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

"I would also question why no air con in an apartment. A quick look around can see that it is very common and I would suspect that the apartment had received little in the way of investment and would need lots of reassurance about standards generally before I booked it. there are still a lot of dodgy landlords around"

Ouch!!!

To imply that just because a property does not have A.C. makes the owners dodgy with low standards is rather a sweeping statement!

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aircon is it needed? in August

Thank you will look into that..

Many thanks

Michael