We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing £s to €s

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Changing £s to €s

I have had a quick search on the forum but can't find out if there is anywhere to change Sterling to Euros. There are plenty of discussions about withdrawing from ATM's but I just wanted to know if there are exchange places or can you only change cash at Banks?

sunderland
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing £s to €s

i was there a few years back and there always places to exchange cash, dont know if it has changed, but it would be good to know what the latest rates are. im going back in a fortnight

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,452 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing £s to €s

I googled and found this for you:

nerjatoday.com/nerjastreetguide/…

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing £s to €s

Todays rate in Benalmadena €1.2250..

Edited: 23 May 2012, 23:03
Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing £s to €s

Lulu, there are quite a few exchange places if you don't want to use the ATM's.

Nerja Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
721 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing £s to €s

There are several exchange places through the town, including ones in Carabeo, El Barrio and Castilla Perez which were all giving 1.22 yesterday if you simply took them GB pounds cash, there is no commission. They will want to see your passport, something to do with money laundering regulations.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,272 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing £s to €s

The exchange office on Calle Castilla Perez (on the left going down, the block before the frock exchange shop) has, for years, consistently given some of the best rates in town without commission.

Frigiliana, Spain
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing £s to €s

Travel agent half way up calle pintada does exchanges if you are at that end. like others say theres lots dotted around the town

Edited: 24 May 2012, 14:09
London, England
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing £s to €s

It sounds like you'll have no problem, and I'm impressed by the rated being quoted as I'd always avoided banks and bureaux de changes, partly to save time, also as I assumed they's hit you with comission.

But I just wondered... What's wrong with using ATMs?

We've always done so, and generally got a great rate as our (UK-based) bank charges a couple of quid for the exchnge, but it applies the commercial - not the tourist rate- so it's competitive with UK high St rates?

Although as I just got a stonkingly good 1.24 Euros to the pond at Moneycorp (London) on the 'moneysavingexpert' website travel money voucher deal, I'm now awash with 'em and won't have to go near an ATM for months!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing £s to €s

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. My mind has been put at rest.

Roll on July!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing £s to €s

< What's wrong with using ATMs? >

This does depend entirely on which bank you bank with though and the type of account you have. Some of the UK banks (especially those in the RBS fold for example) charge iniquitous amounts when you actually do the maths. NatWest invariably give 2c below the wholesale rate AND charge £2.50 per withdrawal - not so bad if you withdraw €500 in one go but shocking if you are only withdrawing €100.

ALWAYS check with your bank before using ATMs outside the UK (and yes, that includes Gib.!).