We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
384 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

Hello everyone. We would have loved to have visited Granada on our up and coming holiday but I really feel it is too far both by public transport and organised tours. 2hours each way for public buses and 8 am til 6 pm for tours. Are there any easier places to get to that you can recommend? I was thinking Torrox (which should have its feria when we are there) and Malaga and maybe Almunecar. Does anyone have a link for the transport to all of these places? I really like the look of Alhama Granada but I am thinking that might be quite a lengthy journey too.

Thank you.

Jean

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

I have got the website for the Alsa buses. I am surprised the Malaga bus takes so long. There seems to be an express one back at 17.00 that takes an hour but the morning ones are anything between 1 hour 20 and 1 hour 45 mins. Is there an alternative bus company?

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

Jean-s - IMO it would be a shame not to visit the Alhambra Palace in Granada whilst you are here. Copy and paste the following link for loads of really useful information on the subject - it might change your mind! tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187441-i416-Grana…

If you do decide to go you could consider an organised all inclusive visit. There are a number of companies in Nerja who run these excursions such as Jaime tours and Verano Azul, and the travelling times are lower as the coaches go direct to the Palace.

Using these companies also saves you having to organise your own entrance tickets, but if you are going get booked as soon as possible - Alhambra entrance tickets are like hen's teeth at this time of year.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

Buses for Malaga, Almuñecar, Granada, Salobreña + La Herradura www.alsa.es

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

Malaga would be a definite for me. Yes, the route can be a bit circuitous, if you don't get the direct bus - but it gives you a chance to see bits of the coast that you might not otherwise get to view! There are more direct long distance buses, which have set off from Almeria, for example - but it's finding the right time from Nerja that can be a problem.

Once in Malaga, get off at the port stop, rather than go into the main bus station. Many people alight here, so it's quite obvious when you get there! (You can choose to get the bus back from across the road, here, too.) You'll be more central - and just opposite the fabulous new promenade.

Almunecar is a nice place to visit, too. Long stretch of beach and lots of interesting sites to view, too.

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
956 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

You could always take the local bus to Frigiliana, 15 minutes from Nerja and €1 each way. It is a great place for a wander with beautiful views and great places to stop for a meal or just a drink.

Market day in Frigiliana is Thursday.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

Jonin - I know how wonderful Granada is as I was lucky enough to stay there for a few days and take in all the sights - I am just thinking the journey will be a bit too much for my mother. If we do decide to go I have seen fair prices for Jaime tours but not much information. Verano Azul is throwing up warnings of malware on the site.

I found the Alsa website Campolady you must not have seen my 2nd comment.

And Jaybee thanks for the Malaga info - although I would appreciate it if anyone knows of a faster morning bus.

I have also visited Malaga for a few days so I think I would recognise where to get off. My purpose on this visit is to show my mother and sisters a nice time without tiring them out or boring them. 2 of them are not really the artistic/cultural types and are just happy with a quick excursion, a nice lunch and then back to base camp - especially if the weather happens to be hot. As I have already seen some lovely places in the area I am happy with this approach.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

thanks Joanandmatt - that sounds up their street.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

jean- The Alsa bus company is the only one with a route from Nerja to Malaga.

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

And it won't get any faster!

Almuñecar is only a max of 30 minutes away and has a castle, Aqua Tropic water park, the largest Aquarium in Andalucia (fun visit), the Loro Sexi Bird Park, Bonsai garden Museum (excellent and relaxing), El Majuelo Botanical Gardens and Roman ruins amongst other things as well as oodles of great beaches.

An an old town centre with narrow, winding car-free streets with nice little squares to stop and sample the local cuisine.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips on public transport from Nerja -not too lengthy?

It won't get any faster??? lol. well it should! If they can do it on the way back at 17.00 then they should lay on one fast one in the morning.

what we might do instead is leave Malaga until our last day as we have a late ryanair flight that day. I might just book a hotel room near the train station to dump our cases and then explore Malaga then. Then any of our party could go back to rest whenever they felt tired. Do you think we could get away with a double room for this seeing as we will not be sleeping in it?

Almunecar sounds like one to add to our list.

Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations