We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Alhambra

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Alhambra

Hi everyone,

Could you please advise whether the 9.45am bus is early enough to enjoy Granada and the Alhambra or should we get up very early and catch the 6.30am!

Any advice from those who have made this journey would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Chris.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Alhambra

Assuming that you are not staying overnight in Granada, I personally would go for the 6.30 bus otherwise you won´t arrive until lunchtime (12.00); as the bus station in Granada is out of the city centre you then have to travel on to the Palace so are not going to get into teh grounds much before 1 p.m.

It is generally said that the morning is the best time to see the Alhambra for photo opportunities.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 15:37
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Alhambra

You don't want to go into the Alhambra just before the end of the morning session because you have to see the Nasrids first off, and so they're not in context. If you do opt for the later bus then make sure you book for the afternoon session.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 16:22
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The Alhambra

Is it preferable to see the Nasrid Palace first?

We would arrive at the Alhambra before 10am so is that time enough to see most things before 2pm?

Thanks

Chris

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Alhambra

Sorry I must have read NSG's message wrongly as I thought he was saying to see the palaces first!

We will be reach the Alhambra at about 10am and can book 11.30am, 12am, 12.30pm, 1pm or 1.30pm.

Do we have to leave altogether at 2pm when the afternoon session starts?

Sorry for so many questions but I want to book and don't want to make a mess of it!

Chris

Edited: 04 February 2013, 19:00
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,696 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Alhambra

We went o the 13.30 session on our visit, you can stay in as long as you want once you enter the Nasrid Palace. The time element is only for this area of the monument. You can enter the site from its opening at 08.30 if you wish.

Just booked again for a visit in May and have booked the same time slot.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Alhambra

Sorry, looking back at my last post I can see how it could be misconstrued, as has been said already you really want to see a lot of the surrounding parts before going into the Nasrid Palaces.

If you're going on the early bus and entering around 10am I'd go for the 11:30 or midday slot, but a lot of this depends on how much you like architecture and wish to compare and contrast the different periods. As Mantalk says, you can stay in the rest for as long as you like if you have a morning session ticket, but not enter before 13:00 if you have an afternoon ticket.

Do allow some time to spend in the Generalife Gardens, don't bother with photos (except happy-snaps) as there are excellent CD-ROMs available in the shop, and above all do make sure you spend some time getting to know the history of the Alhambra BEFORE you go so that you really understand what you're visiting.

Was Boabdil's Mum harsh, or was he just a wuss? Discuss.

You may use both sides of the paper provided.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The Alhambra

Thanks everyone for all your help and I promise to do my homework diligently NSG!

Chris

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Alhambra

I have now booked tickets but all the information about collection is in Spanish! I have tried to change this to English but not been able to do so.

The information suggests that you can print the tickets here at home. Is that right and if so how?

Otherwise is there a 'Caixa' in Nerja? I feel sure that I have seen one.

The other choice is to print them at the Alhambra but is it obvious how to do this when get there?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Chris

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,696 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Alhambra

There are "Caixa" machines at the entrances to the Alhambra, just insert the card you booked with. Alternatively you can take your paper confirmation to the main entrance (dont join the big Q) and they will issue tickets from the reservation number, they do ask for id though so take your driving licence or passport. My original card had expired when we went and the machine didnt recognise its replacement. wasnt an issue though. I asked a security guard at the main entrance and she pointed us to the prepaid Q, much shorter than the day ticket Q.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Alhambra

There is a La Caixa bank at Plaza Cavana in Nerja (the square behind the church by the Balcon), the ATM machine inside the bank is the only one able to print tickets. I recently used it for tickets to a concert and it is very, very easy.

Insert the credit card you booked with, then press Alhambra tickets, the machine will automatically choose the tickets you have purchased, then you print them out. Easy Peasy.